ness dx16 arming problem through cbus

Discussion in 'Homesafe & Security Access & Control' started by scott d, Feb 14, 2010.

1. scott d

scott d

Hi all,
    I have encountered something that is driving me nuts, hope some light can be shed.
    i have used the dx-16 before with cbus and had no problems with arming via the high level.
    Will give you version numbers before i start to rattle off problem

toolkit 1.9.3
    dx16 cbus version 1.8 cbus interface firmware 4.6
    5gang dlt firmware 2.1.0
    tica firmware 4.4

The problem i seem to have encountered is as below
    I have installed the dx16 about 6 to 8 months ago, have cbus telephone interface installed and configured so that when you arm / disarm the alarm it annouces through speaker from the cbti output , also if a zone is in alarm it announces and rings the mobile. No problem with this, works from day 1 and have used this feature a few times before.

this week I decided i would do a bit more on the house automation and use the touchsoft app on my iphone to control the cbus, lights worked fine, security would not arm, i thought maybe i may need a switch programmed with the alarm arm address (56), it still not working even when i press the dlt switch, i have done this using touch screen before on other networks and had not a problem. I can not understand why it doesnt work now.

before any comments i have done a couple of tests:
    + i have checked the ness to make sure arm address is 56
    + obviously there is communication between the ness panel and cbus as it talks to the CBTI no problems

i used the diagnostic utilty (fumble through it not sure how to use it really)and got the below in basic or smart window
    when i press the ness remote to arm a rx message comes to screen that it is armed
    when i press the ness remote to disarm a rx message comes to screen that it is disarmed
    when i pressed the dlt switch (which is assigned to 56) it comes up as a tx message of the address but does not arm the alarm
    i went to the security slave tab and set the arm mode to away mode and hit the arm button the alarm arms, cbti annouces, and the message on the screen is a tx message with alarm arm
    when i use the utility key pad it disarms and the message is a tx message with panel disarm.
    this brings me to thinking that the cbus is talking to the ness panel, its just the switch assigned with the arm address is not getting message through to the ness.

I also I noticed in toolkit the ness panel i installed this time is now under the security application of address 208, when i installed it in previous house it was added as a seperate application with an address of 213, i dont think this makes any difference as i believe it is just because of the newer ness panel being a dx16 security panel in toolkit instead of the older version panel which was a axeze keyless entry in toolkit. just thought i should share as much info as possible.

hoping to hear something from someone soon

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
    scott d, Feb 14, 2010
  2. scott d

NickD Moderator

Actuallly it might be very important...

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in Toolkit?

Nick

NickD, Feb 15, 2010
  3. scott d

scott d

Hi Nick,
    here are the two screen grabs the first is the new version panel which only has the the application address 208, the second screen grab is the old version panel which has security application address 208 and ness security application address of 213 (i renamed it to be ness).

Attached Files:

scott d, Feb 17, 2010
  4. scott d

NickD Moderator

Ah, I thought you were talking about the Applications presented on the panel's UI in the units on network view (which, now that I look closer at the UI for the D16x, are not actually shown to the user).

Since you already seem to have the latest diagnostic utility - can you post the output from that as well?

Nick

NickD, Feb 17, 2010
  5. scott d

scott d

Hi nick,

i removed the security from tool kit, and reinstalled the nesscomms program as well as reinstalling it again in tool kit, still have the same screen grabs, but gave it ago again, and hey presto works, maybe it didnt install properly, who knows, but arms in full and partial mode also announces through cbti, does as it should do. works fine now. dont know what the story is but. thanks heaps for your help anyway.

I do have another question you may know the answer to regarding this, why in the cbus utility program on the security slave tab why are you able to use the key pad with the password in it to disarm, the question i am asking is how can i disable the security system without puttnig a cbus output in the ness panel and using a security coded touchscreen page to turn on the relay. if i can use the keypad in the utility program to turn off alarm there must be a high level way of doing this through other means??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
    scott d, Feb 18, 2010
  6. scott d

NickD Moderator

Glad you got it going.

The Security Application supports Keypad emulation messages, which theoretically (it depends on the panel manufacturer's implementation) emulate the same keypresses as if you were pressing the keys on the alarms keypad.

The C-Touches support sending these same messages, so you can create a page on your C-Touch with a keypad which behaves the same as the real keypad.

On my system at home, I don't have an alarm keypad near the back door, but I do have a C-Touch nearby. I have it set to change to the keypad page on the start of the entry delay, so I can come in the back door and disarm the alarm from the C-Touch instead of running to the keypad near the front door.

Nick

NickD, Feb 18, 2010
  7. scott d

scott d

hmm,thats very clever, i never knew that about the touchscreen, last time i set up a keypad on the touchscreen to access a secured page which had a button to control door access and a button for disarm. now i know that regarding the key pad thats a better way, now do i just put a keypad onto a page and the ness will pick up the key presses, or do i have to do something else as well?

scott

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
    scott d, Feb 19, 2010
  8. scott d

NickD Moderator

No, you need to assign special functions to the keys.

There is an example in one of the templates or example projects which will show you exactly how to do it, so have a look through there.

Nick

NickD, Feb 20, 2010
  9. scott d

scott d

thanx heaps, works like a charm

scott d, Mar 9, 2010
Ask a Question