NEO, multiple timers on multiple keys, same group

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by robs electrical solutions, Jul 15, 2013.

1. robs electrical solutions

robs electrical solutions

I have a situation I can't figure out. Nothing came up on searches here.

8 button NEO, only 1 lighting group "light", I want to have key 1 as normal dimmer, and also assign keys 3 to 8 as timers FOR THE SAME GROUP to be 1 to 6 minutes respectively. Ideally I want six different timers with six different dimming levels (custom key function, that's not a problem) plus the normal dimmer function, all for the same group on the same NEO input unit.

Doing key 1 is straightforward. On the other keys as soon as I assign the same group to that key, in the blocks tab it is assigned back to group one. I can then set only one timer value on the first block assignment. All the other keys again use the timer value from the first block assignment.

Any way to achieve what I want?

robs electrical solutions, Jul 15, 2013
  2. robs electrical solutions

bmerrick

Sounds like the Toaster Oven controller at Subway!!! :D

bmerrick, Jul 16, 2013
  3. robs electrical solutions

Ashley W

Got an idea, but will only work with 4 (or maybe 5) different times. To do this create 4 different groups and assign each group to a different key with the required time for that key.

Then in the output unit use the inbuilt logic to "or" or 'max' (if using a dimmer) the 4 different groups on the channel the light is connected to.

As mentioned it may well work with 5 groups. Just create a 5th group and assign to a key, and then in the output unit assign one groupto the main channel and then the other 4 in the logic tab tied to that channel. I don't think it will work though, but worth a try anyway just in case.

Ashley W, Jul 16, 2013
  4. robs electrical solutions

robs electrical solutions

yep, somefin like that! lol.

Actually it is useful for a number of purposes (just a few i came up with):

Bathroom/Toilet/Laundry fan: selection of different fan run times.
    Turn off child's bedroom light at different times depending on their tiredness.
    Turn on my C-bus controlled kettle with varying delays depending on baby's next feeding time. (The midwives freaked out when I told them I use a remote control from the bed to boil the water at night. Pure genius IMO ! :p )
    Run watering system 30min, 1hr, 2hrs... depending on weather.
    Turn on outside light at dusk(ish) regardless what time I leave home.
    Tons more applications...

Kind of like scheduling but in a limited and round-a-bout way.

Great idea ashley, i reckon it'll do the job fine. thanks. will give it a go.

robs electrical solutions, Jul 17, 2013
  5. robs electrical solutions

NickD Moderator

With the normal key units, you can't have the same group address in more than one block, and unfortunately the timer is associated with the block, not the key, so you can only have one time interval per group address.

If you had a device with logic, you could set the keys up to trigger different timers in the logic device.

As an aside, the new eDLT is a little different here, and you can have multiple timer widgets with different time intervals. Also, with the screen, you can see what the timer interval is (as well as what's left when it's running).

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
    NickD, Jul 19, 2013
Ask a Question