Need Help connecting to the C-Bus network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCVirus, Jan 7, 2009.

1. PCVirus

PCVirus

Hi,

I recently purchased a house which has C-Bus installed in it. I was told by the previous owner that all I need to do was download the toolkit and plug into a wall socket that he had marked CBUS with a Cat5 cable and connect to my PC. No other instructions or documentation were left.

When I plug into the socket and load up the Toolkit (latest version) my 5000CT touch screen goes blank and all the lights on the light switches turn off also. So not knowing the IP address I run a scan but it only detects a serial connection which has the network closed and I cant open it.

Calling the Tech Support informed me that I needed to get the MAC address from the CNI but I cant find one.

From what I can see my setup is a follows:

5000CT Monochrome Touchscreen
    Monitor ver 1.1
    CBus firmware ver 4.2.0.0
    C-touch ver 3.11.0

I also have a Clipsal Home Minder and Telephone Interface, as well as 12 Channel Relay and 8 Channel Dimmer which I assume arent important in finding a solution to my current problem

I've been working in IT for 12 years so I'm not scared to get in there and fiddle with things, I'm just unsure of how it was setup in the first place.

Thanks,
    Phill

PCVirus, Jan 7, 2009
  2. PCVirus

Charlie Crackle

Sounds like you are shorting out the cbus network. !

The plug may be just the cbus cable AND not a network cable from a CNI

Sounds like you need PCI or CNI to convert signals from C-bus to serial or network.

Other option is to plug in via the minder serial port but you will need to use the "Pre toolkit software"

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jan 7, 2009
  3. PCVirus

NickD Moderator

There are several possibilities as to what could actually be connected behind this "C-Bus" socket..

1) Direct connection to a C-Bus Ethernet Interface ("CNI")
    2) Connection to a LAN, which has a CNI located on it somewhere
    3) Connection to the C-Bus CAT5 network
    4) Connection to the serial port of your CTouch

The description you were given of what you should do with it implies that it is 1 or 2.

The symptoms point to 3 or 4.

If it is 4, you will need the DB9 to RJ45 serial cable that came with the CTouch, and would then connect to CBus through the CTouch. I would guess that if the socket is located close to the Ctouch that this may be the case..

If it really is 1 or 2 you need to somehow work out the settings of the CNI... I think the Lantronix Device Installer software which you can get here should help you do this.

Let us know how you get on.

Nick

NickD, Jan 7, 2009
  4. PCVirus

Lucky555

Charlie Crackle is on the money - when I first read the above I thought - they have extended the serial connection of the C-Touch, but the fact you mentioned when you plugged in the C-Touch and all your key input units die, indicates you are shorting the bus and these units are all powering down. First thing is - Don't PANIC you can short out the C-Bus network without doing any harm. Don't PANIC is also good advice if you are traveling the galaxy in a stolen spaceship that has the revolutionary infinite improbability drive...

A quick check of the cable run between the connection point you are connection to will confirm what it is. If the cable runs to another key input or other unit on the bus then you simply have a C-Bus network connection.

You will need a PC interface (PCI) or network interface (CNI) to connect a PC to the network.

Your next challenge will be to work out what the Minder is doing and what you will be able to do with it down the track.

If you want to re program the Minder you will need a copy of the Minder 4.0.4 software, however depending on how much time you have you might be better off moving forward and adding a PAC or other current C-Bus embedded device...;)

Lucky555, Jan 7, 2009
  5. PCVirus

PCVirus

Sorry for the delay in posting but with Christmas and sorting out the house etc I havent had much time to test what was suggested, also I dont have internet access at home yet and wont for a little while longer :mad:

I remember the guy I brought the house from saying that he was going to take something with him as it belonged to his work as he installs C-Bus systems. I think that it may have been the CNI that he took..... but anyways

I never got a USB to RS232 cable so I'll have to find one does anyone know if this one from Jaycar will work?

Also he informed me that I can plus a ethernet cable into the back of the CTouch, I dont want to take it out of the wall unless I have to, do I need a special cable for that too?

thanks for all the posts too guys.

Phill

PCVirus, Jan 14, 2009
  6. PCVirus

Darpa

From what you just said, it's almost definate that the rj45 socket on your wall is a direct connection to the C-Bus network, and you will need to buy and plug in either a PCI or CNI to be able to interface with your system.

Darpa, Jan 14, 2009
  7. PCVirus

ashleigh Moderator

Clipsal recommend the Dontronics USB converter. It is whats used internally and has a good track record.

Dontronics usually sell by mail order, the reference is here: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-converters.html

He seems a good guy to deal with.

It **sounds** like you will need a 5500PC - the cbus PC interface. You attach that to the cbus network, then plug in the USB<->RS-232 converter, and into your PC or laptop. There is also a USB PCI which avoids the need for the converter, this might be suitable. It is a cat number 5500PCU.

At this stage, don't worry about ethernets into the back of touchscreens. You can fiddle that stuff later, but if you were to try and fiddle anything there, you can't use it to commission the cbus network anyhow. So thats for getting things like web pages onto a (colour) touchscreen.

ashleigh, Jan 14, 2009
  8. PCVirus

NickD Moderator

Can't speak for that one.. we generally recommend the Dontronics one.

You said earlier that it's a 5000CT... this has an RJ45 socket on the back however this is *not* ethernet.. it's RS-232. There would have been a DB9 to RJ45 cable supplied with it originally but I'm assuming you don't have this.

The pinout is described in the Installation Instructions.. you can get very cheap little DB9 to RJ45 adapters from Altronics, where you arrange the pins in the DB9 yourself... so you could quite easily build an adapter which you could use with a standard straight through ethernet cable. You would still need a DB9 RS232 port, or suitable USB adapter.

Failing that... if you don't want to remove the CTouch from the wall, you might just want to get yourself a C-Bus USB PC Interface (5000PCU).

Nick

NickD, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question