Mystery ON of the relay

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by OldSkool, Oct 17, 2009.

1. OldSkool

OldSkool

Was sitting at home today no where near a switch, wife out in back yard and boy watching TV.

Garage door opened and a heap of lights came on, all connected to the relay.

Garage on downstairs switch- neo 8 gang and other lights that came on were the bathroom Upstairs on a 4 gang c2000.
    So don't think it was switch programming related more likely Relay related.

Obviously I don't want this to happen when we are not home and it's the first it's happened.

Any ideas on what happened??

We did have a black out 2 nights ago??

OldSkool, Oct 17, 2009
  2. OldSkool

znelbok

Check for mice in the panel. They like the warmth and if they can get in will sit in there and pee on your units (I have had this happen a few times).

It could also be a short between the wires somewhere - again this could be mice or something else. This is more likely to affect all output units, so less likely that this is the case

Mick

znelbok, Oct 17, 2009
  3. OldSkool

OldSkool

No chance that is mice but will check wiring over and see what goes. Was really weird.

OldSkool, Oct 18, 2009
  4. OldSkool

Newman

If this relay unit is installed in a panel separate to other units, then it's possible the remote override input to the unit was activated, perhaps due to a short or a wiring fault. Is it the case that all units in a single DB turned their loads on?

Did the indicators on the corresponding key input units turn on when the lights came on? What did you do to turn the lights off again? This is a big clue.

The C-Bus Diagnostic utility is very handy in determining which unit has sent which commands. It's definitely worth connecting this to a PCI on your network so that you can monitor the network traffic.

Newman, Oct 18, 2009
  5. OldSkool

OldSkool

The relay is in the same enclosure as the dimmers. None of the dimmers appeared to be affected.

We just turned the lights off at the switches.
    Not sure about the indicators as didn't realise there was a problem till later on.
    First time it's ever happend or even played up.

Would it be possible that a surge could trigger them?

OldSkool, Oct 19, 2009
  6. OldSkool

ashleigh Moderator

extremely extremely unlikely.

ashleigh, Oct 19, 2009
  7. OldSkool

Newman

Whilst anything is possible, I genuinely doubt it. It's possible that there is an Area address programmed into that particular Relay unit and a unit on the network transmitted a command against that Area address. Can you check the Area Address of that relay unit?

Check the power-up levels for the relay channels. It's possible that the unit experienced some kind of reset and it is programmed to power-up with the relay channels turned on.

If it happens again I'd set up logging of the network traffic so that you can see the network messages when it happens.

Newman, Oct 19, 2009
  8. OldSkool

fleetz

I have a dimmer unit switching off it's loads very intermittently like between the hours of 3:55 and 4:00pm on a rainy day only when pink elephant is backing down Rundle Mall.:D

Everytime I set up monitoring the C-Bus activity it doesn't happen, not been able to capture if an erroneous command is causing it or it is the dimmer is at fault. Only loads connect to this dimmer pack are effected. It will work for weeks then one day a few loads switch off....next day will be OK. And so it goes..

My gut feel is it at dimmer module level and likely to faulty....yes it is possible it is an electronic fault within....it is electronics after all:eek:

So OldSkool you are no lone orphan...only mine goes off not on!

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Oct 24, 2009
  9. OldSkool

Clinton's Electrical

Hi Guys I Have A Similar Prob. The Lights On a Dimer ( All4 On A 2Amp 4Ch ) Go Off For 1 Second,,,, Then Back to there Previous Levels. !!? Some times Fine For Weeks. Then on Anther dimmer 8 ch 1 Amp On Same Network Does The Same. Power Off For 2 Mins Normaly Helps. As You mentioned You Had a Power outage. is there A Minder or Any other C-Bus Enables Devices WITH Aux Power. ? ie the Alarm Panel Stays On During the power outage,, And C-Bus Goes off.. I Find A GOOD OLD Fashioned Power Off every now And then. is Like A ... Restart..;)

Clinton's Electrical, Nov 9, 2009
Ask a Question