Mystery Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abg, Dec 11, 2009.

1. abg

abg

I am getting a 'Group 240' created in my Trigger Control application and for the life of me I cannot find where it is located.

Clearly it must be lying around somewhere (as an old and unwanted GA). C-gate is (sensibly) creating the group when needed but is there a way to track down it's location ? The 'Document Project' option does not tell me where it is buried so it is clearly hiding somewhere less than obvious (at least to me....). I have watched the toolkit log but nothing it does seems to give a hint....

Thanks to anyone with a clue to finding the beast....

Andrew :)

abg, Dec 11, 2009
  2. abg

znelbok

in toolkit where you show all the groups there is a dependencies view - it will show you which units are using that group. (the PC with toolkit is powered off so I cant be more specific)

Find that and then you can track down where its being used.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 11, 2009
  3. abg

abg

That's the mystery, it doesn't show a dependency. The group is created under the Trigger Control application simply as Group 240. No dependencies, nothing in the reporting.

abg, Dec 11, 2009
  4. abg

Newman

The dependency checker in Toolkit doesn't have the ability to discover groups that are being used by products that don't use Toolkit as their primary programming mechanism, like Touchscreens, MRA, PAC, etc.

The best thing to do is leave the Toolkit Application log running for a while. Then, filter your logged messages to only show messages on the Trigger Control application and look for the source unit of the Trigger Group 240 command. Once you know the source unit address, it will be easy to find the unit responsible.

Newman, Dec 12, 2009
  5. abg

Darren Senior Member

It may be used in PICED for a C-Touch or PAC project. You will need to check there too.

Darren, Dec 13, 2009
  6. abg

mmd

When you say your getting a group, where are you getting it in? Application log, device triggering unexpectedly? As mentioned in the posts above if its in the application log then it will tell you what unit generated it.

Also the dependancy thing is fairly useless as it seems to rely on the database to ascertain what is linked to where, i.e. if someone has changed something on the network through a different copy of toolkit etc it won't show.

On that note be careful when loading up a unit connected to a group address from the dependancy thing as it will often jump to (for example) unit 30. If unit 30 in database doesn't match unit 30 on the network you'll edit the wrong one.

Security systems can also sometimes spit out rogue addresses.

Michael

mmd, Dec 15, 2009
Ask a Question