Multiple Matrix switchers

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Thomas, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Thomas

Thomas

I have searched the forum and gone through the installation instructions for the MRA system, but could not find some of the info which I am after.:(
    I am aware of the fact that one can extend zones by adding multiple Matrix switchers, but there seems to be no information about how they are interconnected?
    It also appears that even if multiple Matrix switchers are used, only 4 inputs are available to the system. Is that correct? If so, are the inputs of Matrix No. 2 and No.3 left open?

I would appreciate clarification on this.

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Jul 26, 2010
  2. Thomas

Nik

Hello Thomas,

From my understanding of the system I believe you effectively set up the second matrix unit as a seperate system.. If you wish to share the original inputs off the first matrix with the second matrix you need to use signal splitters to split the analogue signals from the sources to the matrix units..

Alternatively you could setup a different set of inputs into the second matrix but you won't be able to access the first matrix's inputs on the second matrix's amps, and vice-versa..

Hopefully this clears things up.. (or makes it merkier) :D

I am sure I did see a system drawing a long while ago of how the system is to be setup..

Cheers,
    Nik

Nik, Jul 27, 2010
  3. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Nik,

Thank you for the reply.
    If the Matrix switchers are set up as independant units, I would not really understand why there should be a limit of three, as implied by the MARPA software and the installation instructions.
    At the same time, if there should be some form of inter-connecting the Matrixes, then I would expect to see that in the docs?
    I would just like to be 100% sure about this before I find myself on a site and things don't work...
    Would you know what is the limitation on the audio splitters? Into how many ways could one split the signal?

Regards
    Thomas

Thomas, Jul 28, 2010
  4. Thomas

Nik

I too do not understand why there would be a limit to 3 matrix switches a single install but maybe just maybe its a recommendation, because how often would you really go up to 24 seperately controlled zones of audio on a single network?

I can understand wanting to be 100% sure but I feel pretty confident regarding this but feel free to contact CIS Tech to get confirmation..

In this day and age there should not be a limitation to how many times you can split a analogue signal, but perhaps that is where the no more than 3 matrix units recommendation comes in.. In the new matrix unit your have the capability of increase/decrease the pre-amp of the analogue sources anyways so if you found splitting it across multiple matrix unit reduced the sound output you could bump up the pre-amp to compensate..

Cheers,
    Nik

Nik, Jul 28, 2010
  5. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

The limit of 3 comes about if you put matrix switchers in a cascade arrangement, and then want to set up switches for control of them. The method of mapping switches to control zones imposes the limit of 3. Its a long (and very boring) technical discussion of something like 5 years ago that led to that.

Since then its been found that running matrix switchers in cascade does work but things get very iffy. For example, high priority even announcements get difficult to set up. So it was decided that whilst the facility can work, its difficult to get it to work well, and its better not to publicise a capability that is not 100% bang on as well as easy to use, set up, and understand.

In other words... you can do it but there are some gotchas, so its not really recommended (and therefore not documented).

HTH

ashleigh, Jul 29, 2010
  6. Thomas

Conformist

The limitation has to do with the amount of (hidden) groups that are running in the background to facilitate MRA features. Each Matrix Switcher requires about 60-70 of these groups to fully facilitate all of the features should they be desired.

As Ashleigh hinted.... it's a full-on discussion that would bore everyone to tears and as it all happens 'inside the engine', it's not worth going into.

Cheers

Conformist, Jul 29, 2010
  7. Thomas

Nik

Thanks guys..

I would be very interested to read more info on the cascading of matrixes in the way you are describing even though its not recommended..

Would you by chance have any links or doc's on cascading matrix units and controlling them in a fashion so as to have more than the 6+local inputs available?

I just cannot see how this was possibly ever designed and expected to work.. :S

Cheers,
    Nik

Nik, Jul 29, 2010
  8. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

Here is a hint: Take an output from one MS and use as the input to another.

Set a few magic things in MARPA, cross your fingers, and stand back.

ashleigh, Jul 29, 2010
  9. Thomas

Thomas

Well....

Thank you all for your inputs. Can't say that it is what I hoped for, as the requirement of more than 8 zones does happen from time to time.

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Jul 29, 2010
  10. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

If you don't want things like high priority (doorbells for example) then it is likely to be OK.

There MAY be some issues with amps automatically switching to standby / power down when there is no input source, but I can't remember if thats the case or not with 100% certainty. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can correct me or update me on that point.

ashleigh, Jul 29, 2010
  11. Thomas

RatDeSewer

Guys,

The limitation of 3 matrix switchers comes about from the number of c-bus groups available on a network. Each amp uses 8 c-bus groups, 8 amps use 64 groups, 3 matrix switchers with 8 amps each use 192 groups plus another block of special control groups, not much left out of 256. If you need more than 24 zones, use extra networks and bridges (if required). Note that you can't fully control MRA across a bridge, so just stick to your local network.

You can cascade matrix switchers to obtain additional inputs, but this is not recommended as controlling them becomes extremely difficult. Absolute source control and a logic unit would be the way to go. The next/previous source control won't work.

As for splitting audio inputs, it's just a matter of how much loading your audio source can take. Each matrix switcher analogue input has an input impedance of 47k ohms. If you're driving these from a low impedance source then you should be able to put quite a few inputs on it without dropping the signal level to much.

Amps do not power down when there is no input source. The amps are in fact designed to operate with no input digital source in the case of standalone operation, when they can be switched to use the local analogue input.

Hope this helps

Harry

RatDeSewer, Jul 30, 2010
  12. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Harry,

Thank you for your input. Could you please be quite specific as to the inter-connections required for a scenario of 3 Matrix switches serving, say 20 zones, and let's stick with 4 analogue inputs.

My understanding is that I have the inputs connected in parallel to the three Matrixes. I configure the Matrixes as to their relevant ID via MARPA.
    But are there any specific connections from one Matrix to the next? I.e. is there any connection from one Matrix's digital OUT to another Matrix (what input)?
    Or are they set up virtually stand-alone, only linked via the C-Bus cable? If so, how do I send, let's say Matrix No2's settings to Matrix No2. Does MARPA allow for selection of one vs the other in the transfer routine?

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Jul 30, 2010
  13. Thomas

RatDeSewer

Each Matrix Switcher is unaware of any other on the network. Connect the analogue inputs in parallel. If you want to use a common optical input for multiple Matrix Switchers you can daisy chain the optical inputs. MARPA programs one Matrix Switcher at a time, you select the desired Matrix Switcher. If you have 3 Matrix Switchers on a network, you will need to program each Matrix Switcher individually with MARPA There is no need for Matrix Swithcers to communicate with each other.

Cheers

RatDeSewer, Aug 2, 2010
  14. Thomas

Thomas

Thank you Harry,

That clears it up nicely.

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Aug 2, 2010
Ask a Question