Multiple DVD recorders in the Main Entertainment Area

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamesviago, Mar 25, 2007.

1. jamesviago

jamesviago

I am trying to figure out how to distrubute 3 Panasonic HDD DVD Recorders using StarServe. Since all IR signals are sent to all input units, if a user in the bedroom selects the TV channel for DVD #1, then presses play, all 3 DVDs would start playing. Programming the recording of TV programmes would likewise be a problem, with all 3 DVD recorders reacting to every IR signal.

I understand some brands of DVD recorders overcome this by allowing you to nominate "unit 1", "unit 2" etc in their setup menus; i cannot find such an option for Panasonic... is there any way to get around this with C-BUS?

jamesviago, Mar 25, 2007
  2. jamesviago

jamesviago

Solved

Isn't it always the way... I searched for hours, found nothing then posted the question. I kept searching and within 15 minutes I found another bulletin board, with the answer. Panasonic DVDs do have the ability to separate the remotes for conflicting units. They call it "Remote Control Code" off the Setup menus.

To avoid carrying 3 remote controls from room to room, I'll obviously need to investigate the C-Bus Universal Remote...

I'll leave the thread here in case it's useful to someone else.

jamesviago, Mar 25, 2007
  3. jamesviago

tobex

1/ It is never a good idea to use one brand for everything. My 1980's VCR has the option to behave as VCR1 and VCR2 yet it should be possible on current technology.

2/ You can use a second starserve hub and then install a Channel Plus 2 Zone IR distributor. The input zones are Zone1 - Zone2. The output zones are Zone1 - common - Zone2.

Items in zone 1 only take inputs from the first starserve hub. Items in zone 2 only take inputs from the other starserve hub. Common is equipment that both can use without problems. You will need screened IR "leds" to stop IR leakage affecting other items.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2007
    tobex, Mar 25, 2007
  4. jamesviago

richms

I had a panasonic combo dvd/vcr recorder and it supported 3 codesets, but it would display on the screen USE REMOTE 2 or similar when you pressed anything on one set to another codeset. It was handy because I already had a panasonic DVD player and VCR in the room. More kit should offer that feature.

richms, Mar 26, 2007
Ask a Question