Multiple commands in a single message

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by rhamer, Sep 19, 2012.

1. rhamer

rhamer

Has the practice of packing several lighting commands into a single message been discontinued?

The reason I ask is I have a PCI (v4.4) and a SIM module (v5.4) running side by side on the same network, and I have noticed they behave differently.

If I generate a heap of messages using a home controller whose name must not be mentioned, the PCI outputs the traffic using the multiple commands in a single message (up to 10) format, where as the brand new SIM sends them out individually.

The way the SIM is working suits me, as it means I don't have to have special code to understand the multi messages, but I want to be sure that I'm not going to suddenly start getting them for some reason.

So is it likely that as from Vx.x of the SIM (and possibly the PCI) they no longer send multi part messages?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 19, 2012
  2. rhamer

ashleigh Moderator

No. Its not changed.

And when you receive messages you must always check for multiple commands in a message, because any device can and will generate them (its far more bandwidth efficient).

As to why the SIM and PCI are different... Dunno. NORMALLY this is down to how they are being driven, not the PCI or SIM (itself). ie there is no magical mode switch in the PCI/SIM saying "bust this lot up into separate parts".

ashleigh, Sep 19, 2012
  3. rhamer

rhamer

As usual, exactly the information I was looking for.

Not what I had hoped to hear, but if that is how it is, then so be it.

I am however now interested in how I'm going to test my unpack code as the SIM refuses to deliver messages that way no matter how hard I throw messages onto the network (way harder than is ideal and just for testing of course).

You hinted that it may be the way they are driven, can you throw anymore insight on how that could affect the outcome and how I might force it to pack up the messages.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 19, 2012
  4. rhamer

rhamer

Well you can ignore my questions, I figured it out.

The SIM is in fact sending multi messages, and I am very carefully unpacking them and processing as I should be.

The embarassing part is I had forgotten I had already written that code and my debug was showing me nicely unpacked individual messages which I assumed to be how they were sent..... oops :eek:

Sorry for the waste of time :eek:

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 19, 2012
  5. rhamer

ashleigh Moderator

ha ha ha ha!

We all do that now and again.

Head-smack moment :D

ashleigh, Sep 20, 2012
  6. rhamer

rhamer

Yeah, but I bet you don't post it on a forum for the whole world to see :eek:

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 20, 2012
Ask a Question