Multi Site SP

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Lucky555, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Lucky555

Lucky555

Hi guys, I have a situation coming up where an existing client is looking to get multi site coverage of multiple existing C-Bus install sites, ie multiple sites with existing installations of C-Bus. The client has a WAN covering all sites so I am wondering what hitches there would be to set up a SP project to represent several of the sites. I was not involved in the initial C-Bus installs but will provide some basic info of what I expect to see:

* Lets take for granted that the client will be able to provide network connectivity from the SP machine to a CNI in each site.

* Each site is a single network installation, most probably at the default net254.

I appreciate that I will have to produce a new project and represent each site as a different network with its path via a CNI connection. eg
    253 CNI 10.150.150.20:10001
    252 CNI 10.150.150.25:10001
    etc.

Now in the remote networks (sites) I may wish to do a combination of things. 1 control directly groups in output units, 2 trigger functions residing in a PACA. Will it be necessary to reprogram the sites so that the C-Bus units know they now belong to another net eg 250 instead of the original 254 ?
    Or for base C-Bus units (key inputs, output units etc) and C-Bus module type units like PACA do they see / care about network info?
    Once a C-Bus message makes it to a destination network is the routing info still in the packet ?

Can you think of any other pitfalls for an arrangement like this ?

I hope some of this makes sense... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
    Lucky555, Dec 30, 2009
  2. Lucky555

Darren Senior Member

That should work work fine. I expect it will be hard getting the tags from all of the separate projects into the one combined project.

Regular C-Bus units (key switches, dimmers, relays, sensors etc) have no knowledge of networks, so they will be unaffected.

The PAC does need to know network addresses, but since each PAC only uses the network it is on, then all messages will be addressed to its local network, and it will work fine.

All messages will contain no routing information because there are no C-Bus bridges.

Creating the combined project will be a bit of work. You will need to decide if you are going to use the new combined project exclusively from that point onwards for all unit programming, or whether you are going to still maintain a separate C-Bus (ToolKit) project for each site.

If you have a separate project for each site, then you have the hassle of trying to keep the combined project in sync with the individual projects. If you make a change in one, you need to make it in the other.

If you are going to abandon the separate projects, then you will need to update the PAC projects in PICED. Each one will need to be set to use the new combined ToolKit project and you will need to change the network information (there is a tool for this).

Darren, Dec 30, 2009
  3. Lucky555

ashleigh Moderator

The big IF in all of this is:

- IF there are no bridges (in other words, each site REALLY is only a single network)

Then, as Darren suggests, in terms of PAC, etc, it will all be fairly easy. Making one big composite prioject will be fun.

If a network, only one of them, has a bridge in then messages in that network WILL be ROUTED and will contain routing information, and your challenge will increase. Not disasterously, but you will face more complexity.

I strongly suggest using PACs in the local sites, doing as much as possible autonomously in those sites.

The reason: a WAN is all very well, and S+ can kick off actions in those PACs. But WANs depend on lots of infrastructure - the more you have, the more there is to fail. WANs go down. When they do, you don't want a site to stop. Degraded might be ok, but stopping would be bad.

ashleigh, Dec 31, 2009
  4. Lucky555

Lucky555

Thanks for the quick replies my friends.

I had been tossing this around the in the old grey matter for a couple of weeks then I put pen to paper (in the old speak) and I get your help inside of half an hour.

I won't be looking to make one big project as the requirement from SP to any site is only some basic schedule control eg time controlled external signage etc. Primary control will remain based at each site as original eg key inputs, security interface etc. I might throw in a master on/off via the PAC on site, say for instance if the security interface fails etc. I will stay with individual toolkit files for site programming and just copy the groups I need in SP.

I was thinking also of a watchdog arrangement where SP sends a message to a sight then have some logic looking for a reply message to prove all is up and running.

Ashleigh - I have always considered ramifications for Ethernet networks especially where the network is owned, managed, operated by others, however in this case it is just a fact of life. Two or three watchdog sessions a day will help.

Thanks for you help guys and I trust all is well with you and yours ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
    Lucky555, Dec 31, 2009
Ask a Question