Multi Sensor in Art Gallery

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Jesmond, May 13, 2006.

1. Jesmond

Jesmond

Hello again everyone....

We are working on a design for a client who wants to set up his show room like an art gallery. He is intending to place 1 LV every 1000mm and hang a 600mm display board in the middle of the LV and group 4 LVs (4 displays) to 1 Dimmer channel. On normal mode all LVs would be on around 30 - 50% brightness until a customer walks into the sensor zone at which time the 4 LVs controlled by the multisensor will ramp up to 100%.

As the customer has approx 40 LVs he is willing to purchase 10 multisensors, but I am unsure if we can contain the sensors to the 4 mtr range of the 4 LVs. Can anyone confirm if the multisensor's range can be contained to a certain area? Also does any one have a better way of approaching this scenario?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jesmond, May 13, 2006
  2. Jesmond

rhamer

You could mechanically change the pattern by blocking part of the lens.

I would try recessing the sensor in a piece of PVC tube to narrow it's beam width.

Just a suggestion.

rhamer, May 13, 2006
  3. Jesmond

Jesmond

Hey Rohan,

Can I have a little more information about your suggestion? Dimensions, 3-D drawings and a sample would be even better :D

Seriously any help would be appreciated.

Jesmond, May 13, 2006
  4. Jesmond

rhamer

The detection area of the sensor is controlled (in part) by the lens (the white bit) this lens allows the device to "see" a certain area.

If I remember correctly the pattern is like a cone. If you recessed the device inside a piece if tube, then you will cut off part of the cone and reduce its width. The further back you recessed it, the narrower the detection area will become, to a point where it will make no more difference.

Try it. Creating a cylinder out of cardboard and sticky tape it around the sensor lens. Vary the length of the cylinder and you will change the detection pattern.

rhamer, May 13, 2006
  5. Jesmond

Charlie Crackle

I have had great success with blue tack on the inside of the lens blocking the sections that you did not want to pick up movement. In your case block the outside rim of the lens and leave just the centre ones open. this way the sensor will only operate when person is directly below

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 13, 2006
  6. Jesmond

PSC

The 360 deg PIR's are shipped with configurable (removable) blocking shield.

Some how I don't think Blue Tac is the look you would be after in an art gallery??? :confused:

PSC, May 13, 2006
  7. Jesmond

Jesmond

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, looks like I might trial it out on a sesnsor in my place to see if I can get the results I am after.

In respect to the Blue Tac in an art gallery, maybe I can tell them it's a sculpture....:D

Jesmond, May 14, 2006
  8. Jesmond

rhamer

It's on the inside, you can't see it.

rhamer, May 14, 2006
  9. Jesmond

Charlie Crackle

Rohan is right you can not see it !!!

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 14, 2006
  10. Jesmond

PSC

Why would you use Blue Tac when you can use the configurable shield that is shipped with the unit?

I believe that there is a sticker on those PIR's that state "Warranty Void if Opened" (or words to that effect). Are you suggesting that people risk voiding their warranty by openning up such a device to insert Blue Tac on the lens?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
    PSC, May 14, 2006
  11. Jesmond

Newman

In addition to restricting the detection pattern with the supplied blocking shield the multisensor also has configurable sensitivity. By assigning 'Occupancy Sensitivity Adjust' to one of the Potentiometers on the unit (Global Tab, assigned to Potentiometer B by default) you can wind the sensitivity down.

This will decrease the overall sensitivity of the sensor whereas the blocking shield allows blocking of the detection pattern in more specific directions.

I suspect that with a bit of experimentation you will be able to achieve what you're after.

Newman, May 15, 2006
  12. Jesmond

Charlie Crackle

Is this a new thing (configurable shield). ?? I have not see this in the ones I have been installing is this on the 360 sensor and the multi sensor ?

Some time you just have to do it to fix an issue if there is no other option. Your solution is better. I just have not seen this. Does it clip on the outside ?? Is it ugly ? got a photo of one installed with this shield ?

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 15, 2006
  13. Jesmond

NickD Moderator

I haven't seen what we ship with the multisensors, but I've installed a few PIRs in the past and they've always come with a piece of thin, self adhesive paper or similar material that you can cut to size to block off segments of the lens, and hence restrict the angular range of detection. I'd imagine it's something like this.

Nick

NickD, May 17, 2006
  14. Jesmond

PSC

It's actually made of plastic and sits on the outside of the lens. It has small snap off segments that allow you to configure it to suit your application.

PSC, May 17, 2006
  15. Jesmond

JohnC

It's not mentioned in any of the Clipsal docs that I can find, but as PSC says, it's a thin plastic thingy that clips over the lens (exactly the same shape as the lens but in opaque rather than translucent plastic).
    - You fit it by removing that twist-off round cover, then clip it on

I took a pic of one from a (non-Cbus) 753... only problem is that I haven't got the cable to get the pic off the camera here at work !

Gimme a yell if you want a photo and I'll try to remember the cable tommorrow

John

JohnC, May 18, 2006
  16. Jesmond

Mr Mark

Jes,
    Hope these ones help.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
    Mr Mark, May 18, 2006
  17. Jesmond

rhamer

I never got any of those with the sensors that I have bought.

Is it a new thing?

rhamer, May 18, 2006
  18. Jesmond

Charlie Crackle

These are great.... I have not seen these ever in a CBUS box. Do they only come with the 240V clipsal movement detector ?

Don't suppose they sell them as a spare part.

CIS. Are these a shipping part with current C-BUS Multi sensor and movement sensor ??

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 18, 2006
  19. Jesmond

PSC

They come standard with the 5753L.

PSC, May 18, 2006
  20. Jesmond

skyline

Ive just purchased 7 sensors (Mix of 5753L and 5753PEIRL's) and one came with the mentioned plastic shield which sits over the top of the lens. It works quite well and is "scored" into sections so you could use it in any number of combinations eg, blocking part of a hallway or in this gallery case blocking its depth of field left and right. It did come with a piece of paper which contained a part number. I'll chase up and post the details.

skyline, May 19, 2006
Ask a Question