Multi Room Audio

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Charlie Crackle, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

The documentation says Max 45 Meters Cat 5 cable.

Is this Cat 5 cable ONLY (ie not Cat 5e or Cat 6)

I have had issues in the past with video distribution on Cat5e and when replaced with cat 5 all worked fine. (Individual pair cable length issues)

Does the digital audio suffer from this also ??

I assume the IR targets are extras and don't come with the amps. Are these the same as the ones used in the 8050 system ?? or different ordering codes.

Does the Matrix switcher come with the IR leds ? or extras again

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Dec 20, 2005
  2. Charlie Crackle

Matty

Mra

I'm not clear on the reason for replacing cat5e with cat5?

Both cat5 and cat5e are suitable for the digital audio line. Cat5e should provide slightly better results when running long cable lengths (ie 45m).

I understand most video distribution systems don't digitise signals making them succeptible to interfereance particularly over long cable runs. The whole house audio systems distributes digital audio signals and is a lot less succeptible to these interferences.

IR targets and emitter leads are extras and can be ordered from the 8050 IR range.

Regards,
    Matty

Matty, Dec 21, 2005
  3. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

I just wanted to make sure you could run CAT5e.

The documentation says cat5 NOT at least cat5

please change documentation to make this clear.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Charlie Crackle

znelbok

Just had a look at these for the first time today and I was very dissapointed.

How the hell are you supposed to put these amp somewhere. They wont stack with other gear and they are not a standard size of any sort.

About a decade ago, everything was built around the 430mm wide mark. This was great, you could stack your video on top of your amp and your tape deck would fit on top of that etc, you get what I mean

More often than not nowdays, manufacturers are making thing to any old bloody width and you just cant stack, dont get me started on the cooling requirements of some of the new gear as well. Topfield look like they learnt their lesson as they released a version of the STB that was of a "standard" width after their initial product was about 3/4 of the standrd.

So basically if I want to place an amp in the rumpus room near the TV and use the local inputs for the local DVD and remote for music, I have to have two shelves, because someone in their wisdom did not design it with any other component in mind.

Where are the rack mount versions, at least with a 430mm unit you could add wings and rackmount easily. My hub is central enough that I can locate all amps in one location with shrt speaker cable runs, but now I have to buys shelves and have two per shelf, I suppose at least two fit per shelf.

Had my rant feel a little better now, hope you guys can repackage them for a true custom installation

Mick

znelbok, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Charlie Crackle

Matty

Amplfier size

Most of the amplifier sales were projected to be remote amplfiers which are designed to fit in ceiling spaces. The remote amplifier is designed to allow the unit to be placed near the speakers to reduce speaker cable length and minimising interference. The digital line can be much longer since it doesn't suffer these problems.

Desktop amps take most of the same parts but make it look prettier, hence the odd size. Amps were never spec'd to be rack mounted (no one has a 19" in their bedroom (for electronics)).

All feedback will be passed on to relevant departments.

Regards,
    Matty

Matty, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Charlie Crackle

znelbok

Without going back to check the specs, are you saying that these amps are rated for the temps we expect to see in the ceiling space? Can't complain about that spec.

znelbok, Dec 22, 2005
  7. Charlie Crackle

Matty

Remote amplifiers

Off the top of my head, the remote amplifiers are spec'd to ~70C, as expected in a ceiling space. Desktop amplifiers aren't spec'd for ceiling spaces.

When mounting in high temperature areas its recommended that the amplifier be placed in an upright direction with the connections from the back of the unit facing directly down. This will allow heat to escape the heatsinks more freely and prevent any possible moisture collecting on the connection terminals at the back of the amplifier.

Regards,
    Matty

Matty, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Charlie Crackle

RossW

Wanna bet???

Oops, my "geek" is showing....

RossW, Dec 23, 2005
Ask a Question