MRA Deluxe Matrix capabilties

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by mattyh, May 22, 2010.

1. mattyh

mattyh

Hey,

Couple of questions about the new deluxe matrix switch for multi room audio.

1. Does the new matrix switch have any interoperability with a multi-channel room? Such as the local interrupt product from NuVo Technologies that allows a surround sound receiver to be directly connected to a pair of speakers shared with the multi room audio system.

2. Any support for multiple streams ie: multiple zones listening to a different mp3 or playlist?

3. Zone expansion... What are the options for adding more zones?

Cheers,
    Matt

mattyh, May 22, 2010
  2. mattyh

Conformist

No, but unlike the Nuvo product, the Matrix Switcher does not include amplifiers

The Matrix Switcher supports a single stream from a PC running C-Bus Ripple software. You can add a second stream (easily) by taking the line-level output from the PC sound card and feed it into one of the four line-level inputs of the Matrix Switcher. You are only able to control the Matrix Switcher stream from C-Bus but you can control the PC output from a colour touchscreeen running the Media Director software that come with PICED. We may look at providing (additional) external streamers in the future should the demand be there

The Matrix Switcher supports 8 zones. You can add more Matrix Switchers (up to 3 total on a C-Bus network) to give a total of 24 zones. You can also have more than one amplifier with individual on/off, volume etc control per zone. e.g. If you have a patio area and pool area where the source will be the same, but you want to have individual volume control, you can cascade the multiple amplifiers.

Cheers

Conformist, May 23, 2010
  3. mattyh

mattyh

Are the additional streamers to target the female market more with some flashy razzle dazzle? :p

RE: 2 - I'll put a +1 for the multiple streams upgrade. I personally haven't used a cd player for music is years and with the younger generations coming through being more and more technically adept I would think this to be a great selling point.

RE: 3 - I had squeezed down as many zones as possible into dual amp zones but am still short a couple. Having two matrix switches would make a 'party mode' kinda difficult yeah?

RE: 1 - If no direct support for a multi channel zone/room then a workaround maybe to use the NuVo interrupt with a cbus aux input unit to control the relay...

Will have a play with the Media Director software and see how it goes. The installation has B&W with logic in every bedroom and a colour touch in the main living areas on each floor and master bedroom. Is it possible for the B&W's to have any control of the line out stream?

Cheers,
    Matt

mattyh, May 23, 2010
  4. mattyh

Conformist

Hey Matt

Comments below...

By Party mode, do you mean all zones playing the same source? Shouldn't be a problem even with multiple Matrix Switchers.

Yep, should work

You could write some logic in the colour touch to handle control of the PC stream and then control the colour logic through C-Bus. You won't get the music tags tho. I'll post some info on how to do this when i get a sec (unless someone else does it first:)

Conformist, May 23, 2010
  5. mattyh

mattyh

No worries, sounds promising. The second music stream would just be used as a backup so they can use a nearby colour touch to choose the playlist/songs and then just have basic control from the bedrooms. Really didn't want to add another system when cbus is running everything else in the house - trying to keep it that way!

Yes party mode is all zone on same source. Would this work playing a mp3 stream with 2 matrix's?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers,
    Matt

mattyh, May 23, 2010
  6. mattyh

NickD Moderator

I'm not familiar with the NuVo product but I had a quick squiz at their website and I don't quite follow what you're trying to achieve (or at least how the local interrupt lets you share a set of speakers with another system).

Can you elaborate on how this works, or what you're trying to do?

I'm curious because I have a somewhat similar setup.

I have 3 zones of the new MRA installed, and I also have a 5.1 setup in a room adjacent to one of the zones.. what I'd really like is a line out "zone" without an amp, so that I can use the receiver and home theatre speakers as another zone.

The matrix switcher is actually in the same cabinet as the receiver, so I have my squeezebox optical out looped through the matrix and into the receiver. This works ok, although if there is any signal processing in the receiver you get a noticeable delay between the output in the two rooms. This might be a problem with the setup you intend too..

Nick

NickD, May 24, 2010
  7. mattyh

mattyh

The local interrupt is basically a good quality (I hope) changeover relay. You take both your receiver and zonal amp outgoing speaker wires to it and then out to your speakers. As this only works for stereo I would predict to use the rears to be shared unless the client wants otherwise. Control of which device is attached to the speakers is done by operating the relay coil. See attachment for wiring diagram.

Unless Clipsal bring out a low level output 'zone' unit to fed into your receiver as a stereo input, I don't think what your after is possible at the moment as the current MRA needs an amp for each zone (AFAIK). This would then possibly need different volume control programming to control the receiver - not impossible. As I've read before somewhere, Clipsal don't seem to keen on developing a true integrated MRA system. Bit of a pain but what can you do.

Cheers,
    Matt

Attached Files:

mattyh, May 24, 2010
  8. mattyh

NickD Moderator

Ah ok, that makes more sense.. I was looking at something different on one of their amps.

This is what I was getting at.

Not sure what you mean by that... I guess it depends on your definition of "integrated"... I doubt there's any system that's as well integrated with C-Bus. Integration with an existing music system is a different kettle of fish and wasn't (AFAIK) one of the design goals.

Out of interest, what would your definition of a "true integrated MRA system" be? Just wondering what you think is missing. Perhaps it's something we can look at.

Nick

NickD, May 24, 2010
  9. mattyh

mattyh

Hey Nick,

I agree the cbus MRA integrates awesome with the cbus automation system. It just doesn't allow any true audiophile equipment to be used like what it sounds like you might be after. A simple low level (RCA) output unit hanging off the matrix would be a great option to the currently available amplifiers - you can claim that one as your idea. :) That way you could connect you own receiver/amplifier to drive more powerful speakers should you wish. I've really only just started looking at the cbus MRA system since the release of the Mk2 (because of the audio stream support) and in the last couple of days finding out one of our clients now wants audio distribution.

Don't get me wrong, in a cbus installation there would have to be some special circumstances to warrant not installing the cbus MRA system. That's why I'm trying to find out just exactly what its capable of. I'm still doing an apprenticeship (mature age) so a lot of this is leg work for my employer.

Cheers,
    Matt

PS. Since you mentioned it, something else to look at for future matrix or local amp inputs might be direct iPod control from a dock. Including id3 tags and cover art for colour touch's. But I reckon the smart cookies at clipsal are already developing something like that...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
    mattyh, May 24, 2010
  10. mattyh

Conformist

The standard desktop and remote amplifiers have line-level outputs if you need a zone with power amps

Conformist, May 24, 2010
  11. mattyh

mattyh

Ahh, so they do. I missed that in the installation notes. I can't find where there's a written note about it, but saw the output on closer inspection of the amplifier back panel diagram. Good to know!!
    Thanks for clearing that up Conformist.

Cheers,
    Matt

mattyh, May 24, 2010
  12. mattyh

Conformist

No probs Matt. Note... line-level outputs are only on the older amps. The new low cost amp doesn't have this. May look at it if the demand is great enough in the future :)

Conformist, May 24, 2010
  13. mattyh

mattyh

Haha, you're one step ahead of me! :D I was checking the prices in the 2010 catalogue at work today and thought maybe the low power amp could be used for a multi channel receiver zone instead of purchasing the full power amp which wouldn't be used. Was about to open up the installation pdf but thought I'd check in here first.

Cheers,
    Matt

mattyh, May 25, 2010
Ask a Question