MRA and wiser 2

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by ben addison, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ben addison

ben addison

Hi,

I have worked on around 10 MRA units in the uk over the years.i have got them working fine on touch screens.
    But I can't get everything working on wiser 2.

Can I use the USB on the front of the wiser to stream music from.

How do you search for music on wiser as the track lists etc are blank even when I am running ripple player.

How do you display album art on wiser?

Thanks for your help

ben addison, Nov 30, 2015
  2. ben addison

Ambro

Did you have any luck with this?

I have given up on the inbuilt ripple server with samba (even the tech support said they couldn't get it to work....)

Surely the MRA widget will work with the existing ripple software, one would think.

Ambro, Dec 18, 2015
  3. ben addison

Format

I've managed to get the inbuilt Ripple Server to work on my Wiser2 and also access a Windows 7 shared folder using the SAMBA entry option. This was using a username/password combo that was setup on the Windows 7 PC.

What I've found is the following:

• You need to go into the Android/IOS app setup menu and then do a refresh remote media so that it scans the SAMBA folder and builds its internal database
    • The cover art will then appear in the MRA3 widget, assuming the folder name can be handled (no ampersand characters for example)
    • You can't access the cover art externally like the old PC Ripple software. At least I haven't worked out a way yet although port 20030 looks 'promising'...
    • The Ripple Server is flaky - quite often it just dies internally and you need to reboot the Wiser to get it back up and running
    • Some of the Media Transport Control Data is inaccurate - often you can't get correct categories out of it
    • I can't access internet radio stations in the Android App

I'd love to find a way to get some diagnostic info out of the Wiser2 to work out where exactly it is dying (and why)...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    Format, Dec 28, 2015
  4. ben addison

Ambro

Thanks Format - looks like the tech doesn't seem stable enough / features aren't present (ie. internet radio which is mainly what we want).

I'm trying to scan a SBS2010 server with the folder and it doesn't work - I suspect it is a port issue; looks like I'll have to read up on SAMBA one day....

Ambro, Jan 5, 2016
  5. ben addison

Format

Have you tried disabling any firewall between the Wiser 2 and SBS2010 (assuming you're on an Intranet and not directly exposed to the net)?

From what I remember Ports 139 and 445 need to be accessible. Port scanning the Wiser 2 should confirm this as it is a SAMBA File Server as well...when it works...

I do have a question re the internet radio on the MRA. I've never been able to get it to stream properly, sound is very stop-start like there is network interference with the signal, either when using Ripple Software on PC or when using the Wiser 2 with the IOS app (which does have Internet Radio). This is on a Bigpond Cable connection with which everything else works fine.

Format, Jan 13, 2016
Ask a Question