MRA Amps with no MRA switcher

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by znelbok, Dec 13, 2014.

1. znelbok

znelbok

According to the manual here on page 7, the analog input is sent to the digital output so that the amps can be daisy-chained when in stand-alone mode (which is my situation).

If the MRA digital input is sent to the digital output for daisy chained operation and the analog is also sent to the output it is logical to believe that the optical input is also treated the same way.

That is all assuming that the manual is correct as well.

I dont have a MRA - I am just using stand alone mode so not being able to use the MRA digital input is not an issue.

My test I referred to in the previous post was an analog input with the digital out connected to the digital in of a daisy chained amp. I was not able to get audio out of the second amp but that may have been because I could not confirm that I had selected the digital input.

znelbok, Oct 14, 2016
  2. znelbok

NickD Moderator

Hi Mick,

I'm pretty rusty on MRA (clearly)...

Without having a setup handy to try it on myself, it looks to me from the schematics like that document is wrong because I can't see any link between the Local analog in and the daisy-chained digital out.

If you need confirmation before you try it yourself then Tech Support is your best bet, but as far as I can tell :

1) you should be able to use a local analog source by selecting Channel 0 via C-Bus
    2) you should be able to use a digital source by selecting any other Channel via C-Bus (looking at the source code it seems the button on the Amp itself toggles between Channels 0 and 1 if there is no Mux detected).
    3) Neither local source (Analog or Toslink) are connected to the digital out

Nick

NickD, Oct 17, 2016
  3. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks Nick

When the documentation is wrong it makes it hard to plan and design an install.

The amp is installed now and I am switching between the two local inputs by using next source (bell press).

Not ideal as I would rather have discrete control. I'll try again with creating a group and setting levels on the group and see if I can switch between the two inputs.

Its a shame that the amp does not work as per the document because it would be ideal in my situation.

znelbok, Oct 17, 2016
  4. znelbok

NickD Moderator

Hi Mick,

I can't disagree with you there.

I'm still a little confused by what you are having trouble with (aside from the documentation). Are you saying the absolute source selection doesn't work on the first amp?

Nick

NickD, Oct 18, 2016
  5. znelbok

znelbok

Now that I have a digital input that is working the discrete input works. It was just a few things that lined up that had me doubting it all.

All good for them moment

znelbok, Oct 18, 2016
Ask a Question