MRA Amplifier & Local Input Only

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Bmcappion, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

HELP!

I have a Multiroom Audio Amplifier and I am trying to set it up to work off my CBUS Network as a Standalone Unit with a DLT turning it on/off (Selecting Local) and Volume on another key.

Nothing i do makes this work, I know this works i have seen it done...

Anyone help me with some advice!!!! What am i doing wrong in Toolkit. I have searched the forums for the past 16 Hours and spent 2 days trying to get this to work and i am about to put the amp in my fish tank as an ornament!!!!

HELP!!!!

Bmcappion, Aug 28, 2010
  2. Bmcappion

Conformist

Which amplifier are you using?

Conformist, Aug 29, 2010
  3. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

25w remote amp

Bmcappion, Aug 29, 2010
  4. Bmcappion

Conformist

There is an option to select local on the misc. tab when you set it up. I need to ask tho, why do u want a separate on/off from the volume?

Conformist, Aug 29, 2010
  5. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

Is that in Marpa or toolkit? I think I'm way out of my depth here lol

The help is appreciated though,

Just thought I needed on/off as well as volume if I can just use volume that's fine too

Bmcappion, Aug 29, 2010
  6. Bmcappion

Conformist

For a stand-alone system (no Matrix switcher), you configure everything from Toolkit.

Bring up the GUI for the Amp and you will see a miscellaneous tab. On that tab is an option for the startup zone (local in your case).

For on/off/volume control from a DLT, I always use and recommend an on/up key and a second key with off/down. Label the on/up key with volume+ and label the off/down key with volume- (use variant 2 to get the 2nd text label).

Something to note... If you short press the on/up key, the amplifier will come on at the last volume set and not maximum volume.

Hope this helps :)

Conformist, Aug 30, 2010
  7. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

Ill give it a shot,

I cant remember seeing a Misc Tab when i was playing with it, Is it possible if it is an older model that it cant do it? or do all of them do it?

Cheers

Bmcappion, Aug 30, 2010
  8. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

Ok i think i have hit a stumbling block..... the amplifier is an older firmware (Great thanks Ebay), i dont have the Misc Tab and from searching have found that the misc tab isnt there for early firmwares...

any other options?

Bmcappion, Aug 30, 2010
  9. Bmcappion

Conformist

You need to (somehow) set the (absolute) source to 1%. If you have logic in a device somewhere on your system, then you can do this on startup. If not, you will need to sacrifice a key somewhere to set the absolute source for the zone to 1%.

Conformist, Aug 30, 2010
  10. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

Ok Think im about to give up on it......

I have tried everything and cant get it to work....

Wonder what i am doing wrong..... Any further ideas to help me out before i throw the amp to the bottom of the ocean

Might be time to invest is a couple of the new 10W small amps, they are only running Background music speakers anyway.

Bmcappion, Aug 31, 2010
  11. Bmcappion

NickD Moderator

It's hard to give any "further ideas", because it's not clear what' you've actually tried...

You said originally that you wanted "a DLT turning it on/off (Selecting Local) and Volume on another key".

To select the Local source input from a DLT, you need to assign a group address to the "Absolute" source control group on the "C-Bus Control" tab in the Toolkit UI for the amp, and then you need to configure a key on your DLT to set this group to a level of 1%. Then you need to actually activate this key. It should only need to be done once, but it will revert to the digital source if it is power cycled.

Since you're only ever using the local source... if you don't want to dedicate a key to doing this, you could include this group/level in a scene (or several).. this way every time that scene gets set, it forces the amp local input.

To control the Volume, you need to assign a group to the "Volume" on the same tab, and configure your DLT keys to control this group.

Failing that... going with the new 10W amps is probably a good option... these, (as well as the Rev2 25W amps), have an updated design compared to the older one you have already, which reduces the power consumption significantly (by about 3.5W from memory) when they are in standby (volume set to 0).

Nick

NickD, Aug 31, 2010
  12. Bmcappion

NickD Moderator

Actually.. here's a way...

You will need
    2 unused logic groups in *2 separate* output units on the same network.
    1 unused block in a key unit on the same network as the above output units.

Say the group you have set in the amplifier for Absolute Source Select is called "Amp Source".

1) Set the logic groups in the 2 output units to the "Amp Source" group. (Make sure none of the channels are ticked so the logic group doesn't affect the channels.)

2) In both output units, in Logic Recovery for the "Amp Source" group, deselect "Auto Level Store" and set the recovery level to ON in one of the units, and OFF in the other.

3) In the key unit, set the group address for the unused block to "Amp Source".

4) Still in the key unit, on the "Power Failure" tab, ensure "Restore to Preset Levels" is selected, and set the Level for that group to 1%.

How this works:

Each time the network starts up, the status correction mechanism will see the discrepancy in the state of the same group in the 2 output units. After several consecutive discrepancies, the key unit will resolve it by sending its level, which is set to 1%. The amplifier will see this message and set its source to the local input.

Nick

NickD, Aug 31, 2010
  13. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

Ok so I have given up....

I'm 99% sure the amplifier is stuffed. It has a blue power light on the back of it that lights up when it is powered, this keeps dimming and going out and the volume control on the DLT resets itself back to 0.......

Bmcappion, Sep 3, 2010
Ask a Question