More Information about L5501RBCP C-Bus Motorized Blinds/Curtains/Shutter Relay

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by DanielF, Dec 27, 2006.

1. DanielF

DanielF

Hi all
    I was wondering if someone could help us with more information (features, installation manuals, etc) about the soon to be released L5501RBCP C-Bus Motorized Blinds/Curtains/Shutter relay

Our company has won a tender for two big towers in Buenos Aires, Argentina, ( http://www.mulierismadero.com ) to provide full Home Automation Systems for 156 apartments
    We are using a bunch of 12 channels relays with 2NC/2NO external relays for avoiding motor locking. This solution that works extremely well requires a lot of space in the main switchboard.

As we are using a Prisma Plus cabinet with 11 Din rails per apartment we are looking at this new product in order to free some space.

Any help will be more than appreciated.

Rgds

Daniel

DanielF, Dec 27, 2006
  2. DanielF

darrenblake

Motorised blind / louvre control

Hi Daniel,
    I dont know much about the new relay you speak of, but dependent on the number of blinds, louvres etc, is it possible to use the L5504RVFC four channel changeover relay???
    This will overcome your interlocking issue, but does not provide a midway stop position i.e all the way up or down only.
    This is easily overcome by wiring a normal relay channel in series with the common of the changeover relay.
    You can then progam up any high end key input with scene generation (i.e Neo, Saturn, Reflection etc) to trigger scenes to control both the standard relay and changeover relay. This can obvously also be done in any touchscreen or PACA controller.
    All the best.

darrenblake, Dec 28, 2006
  3. DanielF

znelbok

A new option that I have come across is to use a PAC with the range of controllers from ESI. The RP60 is the model available in Aus (rated for 240V, and not 115 as indicated on the web page)
    http://www.elec-solutions.com/docs/motor_controls/rp60abm/rp60abm2.html

Some are using them with the Ness M1 alarm/Automation panel.

Thye have a serial interface (R2D7) and all of the controllers (and accessories) are on whats called an RP bus. This removed the need for software interlocking (and time delay between changes of direction) and also removes the need to buy expensive C-Bus relays (wither standrd or changeover). $500 odd for the PAC and simple groups on/off logic sending out an ASCII string will open your curtains with proper motor protection, and well under $200 for a controller.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 28, 2006
  4. DanielF

znelbok

znelbok, Jan 1, 2007
  5. DanielF

PSC

Now just $65 ;)

PSC, Jan 1, 2007
  6. DanielF

znelbok

There appears to be two version and I get the impression that the cheaper one does not have the remtoe control pinds on it, and it is inly controlled via the IR sensor. I could be wrong. I bought the $88 one, but if someone buys the $65 and can confirm that the pins are on it, then we will all save

Mick

znelbok, Jan 1, 2007
  7. DanielF

rhamer

That would be me!

I was trying to figure out the price difference, but they looked identical to me.

Oh well, we'll see what turns up.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 2, 2007
  8. DanielF

Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden, Jan 2, 2007
  9. DanielF

Gerald

Blinds & Shutters

I have used tge attached wiring method since the 5504RVFC relay was introduced. It may help others Gerald

Attached Files:

Gerald, Jan 3, 2007
  10. DanielF

2SC

If you are using a BW TS you can use scenarios to avoid motor locking. For instance, when you press the button for down, the scenario will first turn off the channel of the UP operation and then will turn on the channel for going down.

2SC, Jan 3, 2007
  11. DanielF

DanielF

Thanks to all members that replied

Hi all
    I would like to thank to all the Forum members that replied my question.
    Very interesting notes and suggestions. I appreciate a lot.
    In fact we are using some of them in many of our installations.

In the big project that we won as the Domotic Level is 1 (usage of a PAC and a Phone Interface) we are using some scenarios for not not increasing the switchboard space.

We are dealing rigth now with a big one (two towers of 33 and 46 stories . http://www.leparcfigueroaalcorta.com ) where we are not alone. We are competing against some EIB-KONNEX brands like Vimar, Siemens Instabus, Becker and Mertens. And the fact is, that these vendors do have dedicated curtains/blinds modules that makes future upgrades much easier for the installers and owners.

This was the main reason I was asking for more information about the L5501RBCP.

Also we are competing against some SMI - Standard Motor Interface solutions where the the bus directly go into the ceiling daisy-chaining all the motors. A high tech solution from the EIB field. (for info www.smi-group.com)

Again, thanks a lot for your replies.
    My best regards

Daniel

DanielF, Jan 3, 2007
  12. DanielF

znelbok

That is exactly what the ESI product does, and it has the serial interface so tht you could useit with a PAC to control all curtains

znelbok, Jan 3, 2007
  13. DanielF

Phoneman

Ebay Curtain Control

Spoke to the distributor of the $80 and $60 version and here is what she said was the difference.

The difference is that an additional connection is available on the C-Bus model to hook up to a C-Bus Relay module so that the curtains can be opened or closed by the home automation system in addition to the usual operation by IR remote control. This unit has proved to be considerably more popular than the standard model, which will be phased out once stocks are exhausted.
    Regards, Helen. Respond to this question

Phoneman, Jan 5, 2007
  14. DanielF

Phoneman

CBus Trigger

Have either of you that purchased the unit ascertained if the trigger needs to be a 240v pulse thus tying up two relay channels (one for the load and one for the trigger)?

Do you think it could be triggered by a low voltage (minderesque) input?

Phoneman, Jan 5, 2007
  15. DanielF

rhamer

It's triggered by shorting 2 connections together.

1 sec runs the motor 1 way, 2 sec runs it the other. anything else stops it where it is. If you let it run on, when it hits the end of the track and stalls, the current increase will be detected and the motor shut off.

So hook it up to one of your Minder outputs and pulse the output.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 5, 2007
  16. DanielF

Charlie Crackle

I went to the show room on Friday. What rhamer says is correct but the timing is very critical. The $66 inc gst and the $88 inc gst versions are the same except the software inside is different. The "c-bus" version "Which I would have called "Dry contact Control" was developed because some one asked them to make a mod to the software for a CBUS system. The problem here is it was controlled from a minder which can give a "Pulse (1) and a Pulse (2) very easily and because minder was conected to cbus it became "Cbus version". Now people without a minder trying to do this with a PAC and a Cbus relay may not have a reliable outcome. Getting a CBUS relay to PULSE on for 1 second or 2 seconds reliabily (depending on cbus traffic/pac process) may be an issue. (I have not tried yet) (works fine on a minder)

Now a question for the CBUS experts. (If there are issues with timing and reliability they are quite prepared to change the software to make reliable)

Once easy solution would be to use 2 contacts one for open and one for close. But the current design is good because it uses 1 contact for both open and close (with the high price of cbus relays this is good)

** Add to Wish List ** cheap 8 channel relay module with latching change over contacts rated at some where around 24V ac/50 V dc fully cbus powered. (great for this application or irrigation)

I would be interested in other peoples ideas on communication of OPEN, CLOSE and STOP with 1 contact (no change over) which does not rely on such tight timing on closing and opening contacts.

What would the time tollerance need to be for reliable Cbus relay control

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2007
    Charlie Crackle, Jan 6, 2007
  17. DanielF

znelbok

The other way I can think of is to use pulses.

One pulse for open and two for close and a long pulse for stop. If I remember correctly, the minimum time [with a timer] that can be acieved (without a PAC or other) is 1 sec. Two pulses in two sec should be achievable.

A pulse 2sec or longer for stop.

You get the idea anyway, the use of pulses removed the need for timing

Mick

znelbok, Jan 6, 2007
  18. DanielF

Phoneman

24v A/C

The concept of a relay with say 8 contacts is great but for something so low voltage, why don't they go all the way and introduce say a 12, 24 or even 36 output option. Furthermore, match it to an input option ala a bus suite of General Input Modules.

Admittedly it would need to be housed in a seperate switchboard so the high and low voltage is not combined but with the "smarts" of touchscreen, CBus could truly become a home automation system rather than a clever light controller.

Phoneman, Jan 7, 2007
  19. DanielF

rhamer

The other thing I have found (and confirmed by Charlie Crackle) it the unit will respond to any sony IR command, even when programmed for a different brand.

It seems the sowtware needs a bit of a tweek in a couple of places, but I think it would be worth working with the company to get a nice little low cost curtain motor for the DIY kind of folk.

Charlie has already got his working on a real curtain and reports it working ok. Charlie, can you confirm this?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 7, 2007
  20. DanielF

Charlie Crackle

Got is working on a very Heavy curtain. Works well. I would not call it Quiet but the motor noise is not that bad for $88 the IR is not an issue if you are controlling via Minder.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jan 7, 2007
Ask a Question