Minimum equipment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattfurlong, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattfurlong

Phoneman

Tobex

I agree with what Tobex has said about splitting the node for C-Bus however I think most homeowners would rather have one switchboard zone and not too many have the enormous load requirements some might have.
    There is also the issue of that other bit of the home distribution such as Ethernet, A/V, I/R and phones which all really do need to come from one point.
    As for the flamers, I actually don't hold any conspiracy theory that info is being withheld, in fact half the time I don?t believe the left hand knows what the right hand is doing inside Schneider?s local branch.
    I do however believe quite a few self serving CBus "Guru's" on this forum have taken a few too many hits and believe they belong to an exclusive group hence the hunting in packs and turning fair comment into an opportunity to flame.
    I am sorry that unlike some in the forum I don't know everything and cause offence by asking questions, the answers to which are readily available elsewhere. I figured asking a reasonable question about one element of a product in a forum dedicated to the technology would be the easy option.
    Flame away girls.......

Phoneman, Jan 19, 2007
  2. mattfurlong

Phoneman

JohnC

JohnC, feel free to correct where I went wrong in my posting about the need to get the wiring topography correct!

Phoneman, Jan 19, 2007
  3. mattfurlong

PSC

*** yawn ***

B O R I N G . . .

PSC, Jan 19, 2007
  4. mattfurlong

Phoneman

And one more thing....

JohnC, feel free to correct where I went wrong in my posting about the need to get the wiring topography correct!

Also, if I recall from the introductory course, the reasons for using C-Bus were given as;

The C-Bus wiring system gives two major advantages over conventional wiring
    practice.
    1.1 EASE OF WIRING
    There is no point to point wiring required. All the input and output units are looped
    together with Category 5 (Cat 5) Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable.
    Units do not need to be wired in any particular order. As long as the positive (+ve)
    and negative (-ve) C-Bus terminals on each unit are connected to the +ve and ?ve
    conductors respectively.
    These two conductors carry not only the Extra Low Voltage (ELV) power supply for
    the electronics in each C-Bus unit but also allow digital signals to be sent between
    units to control loads, etc.
    1.2 FLEXIBILITY
    The programme which tells the C-Bus system whether a key input has a simple
    on/off function or is a timer or dimmer can be changed as often as required.
    One input can control as many outputs as required to give simple load bank control.
    One output can be controlled by as many inputs as required to give multi point
    control (including dimming) with no complex wiring required.
    The programme that specifies which input(s) control which output(s) can be
    changed as often as required to match the changing needs of the installation.

Now I might be wrong or my memory may have failed me but I don't think that is consistent with what you are suggesting about the ?wire jerker? electricians which by the way might I suggest was where you may well have started out! So does that make you a Smarter Wire Jerker or a Wire Jerker who has an over extended view of his jerking capabilities?
    I am just an unemployed bum who is trying to make the light in his shed turn on and off!

Phoneman, Jan 19, 2007
  5. mattfurlong

BSS

BSS, Jan 19, 2007
  6. mattfurlong

Phoneman

pack

man the whole pack has arrived!

Any of you clowns want to start a thread? Come up with some new ideas?

Think outside of the square?

If you don't want new people to become a part of this secret society you are so eager to protect, you are going the right way about it.

Why not open your small minds and think of the bigger picture and not just the job you have on Monday?

Phoneman, Jan 19, 2007
  7. mattfurlong

Phoneman

Talking BS

I agree with the risk of purchasing on EBay.

I accept that you have never done any electrical work on anything but an approved ladder.

I don't think it would take that long to retrofit a single dimmer if the pre wiring was done correctly which is the point I make.

How do you like them sausages done buddy?

Phoneman, Jan 19, 2007
  8. mattfurlong

tobex

I pay all members here the same high regard but I sense that we all come to these forums with expectations. As I expect nothing .... offer a little .... expect nothing from it .... I notice that you make a lot of assumptions about home wiring.

Firstly, home owners are not home designers. Finding this website proves one thing, we are thinking beyond the norm. The norm is boring, pointless and a waste of time. That is why I dont use it as my frame of reference.

Your comments are not offensive to me but I think that they are misplaced faiths in "the old school". Technology liberates people from being tied to one method. The appropriate use of technology breaks all the rules and that is true for C-Bus as well as all other systems.

Nothing has to be centralised. It only has to be consistent and serviceable.

tobex, Jan 19, 2007
  9. mattfurlong

tobex

If you had to pay a professional to stand on your work site and debate every idea presented in this forum then $20/hour, as offered by yourself, would probably bankrupt you.

tobex, Jan 19, 2007
  10. mattfurlong

Phoneman

not sure

Tobex, not sure where you are coming from because I am agreeing with you.

Phoneman, Jan 19, 2007
  11. mattfurlong

tobex

Where it applies to me, being of limited patience, is that I prefer not to speak to home owners. Architects are marginally better and builders are half decent.

The problem with smarthomes is that they have 2007 technology that needs to be wedged into 1850 drawings. Not only are the vast majority of homes not drawn for C-bus but the cost of adding, moving, hiding and installing is only bearable at the blueprint stage.

Standing on a slab with the owners holding a half-arsed drawing is next to impossible as far as making the right provisions. On the other hand if someone just wants the toys no matter what then I leave it to my junior designer who holds a mighty crayon and does drawings on blueprints as good as the original .... scribble that is.

tobex, Jan 19, 2007
  12. mattfurlong

Richo

What an interesting thread .. and here I was thinking you were all listening when I said "No personal attacks". Sheesh.

I'm closing the thread. Keep it professional, no disparaging comments or name calling. All offenders will get a weeks detention and I will call your mother.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
    Richo, Jan 21, 2007
Ask a Question