Minder Replacement or Revive?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Aminpro, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Aminpro

rhamer

I think ATEN use the Prolific chipset.

Typically the cheaper units are Prolific based.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 4, 2013
  2. Aminpro

Aminpro

I see.
    Looks like I have to find a FTDI in the local stores or fireup my very old desktop that have a serial port. :D

Aminpro, Dec 4, 2013
  3. Aminpro

Ashley

I have used a number of ip to serial converters on my Minder and they all worked fine. Much easier to access from anywhere too.

Ashley, Dec 5, 2013
  4. Aminpro

Aminpro

Like this one?

[​IMG]

Aminpro, Dec 5, 2013
  5. Aminpro

Aminpro

After tweaking some serial settings, now I believe the firmware was successfully downloaded but then it is stuck at this stage for hours.

Please advise :)

[​IMG]

Aminpro, Dec 6, 2013
  6. Aminpro

Ashley W

Unfortunately I only ever had the one and never had any firmware issues, so cannot help.

Ashley W, Dec 6, 2013
  7. Aminpro

rhamer

I have not ever had this problem either.

One thing I would do is to find a PC with inbuilt Com port. Doing firmware updates to anything with suspect communications is really walking on the edge.

My only thought is to try powering it down and removing the internal battery for a few seconds then start it up again and cross your fingers. I don't know for sure what that will do, as I've never done it, so it's up to you.

The only other long shot , might be to see if you can shout out to Conformist on this forum, who may remember a secret squirrel way of resetting it.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 6, 2013
  8. Aminpro

Aminpro

Thanks. I can safely say that the controller is accepting new reload commands which I assume it will accept a new firmware download. I'm booting my very old PC with a serial port right now.
    Hopefully this one will work otherwise I don't know what will.

hahaha one problem.... I don't have an old mouse :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    Aminpro, Dec 6, 2013
  9. Aminpro

Htnut

Sorry to say this but I think your minder has died.

From memory I believe I had the same issue and I concluded that the memory could not be programmed.

I replaced mine with a Ness M1 gold and am very happy with it

Htnut, Dec 7, 2013
  10. Aminpro

Brendan Rogers

We replaced our Minder with an Inner Range C4000 about ten years ago, and recently upgraded this to a new Inner Range Integriti panel with graphic terminals. We can recommend an Integriti to anyone wanting a professional security panel with C-Bus integration support. Anyone still with a Home Minder would notice a very big improvement by updating, provided that the new Integriti is properly programmed and integrated with their C-Bus system.

Brendan Rogers, Dec 8, 2013
  11. Aminpro

Aminpro

I've just pulled out my old desktop and connect to it's onboard serial port.
    Did a fresh reflash and it worked :D

The Minder box is healthy as it could ever be.

Thanks to all that helped :D

The sensors are responding properly and so as the Cbus commands from Minder.
    Now I just have to figure out how do I test the smoke detector...

And another thing... I can't seem to get a response from the Cbus for groups that is over 09 such as 0A, 0B etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    Aminpro, Dec 8, 2013
  12. Aminpro

rhamer

Great news, another Minder lives on.

With regard to the C-Bus addresses above 09, your not mixing up the hexadecimal addressing with the decimal default addressing of toolkit are you?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 8, 2013
  13. Aminpro

Aminpro

I just assumed that it will correspond to the decimal group.

Like group 10 I just assumed it was group 0A on the Minder. That's not the correct way?

Aminpro, Dec 8, 2013
  14. Aminpro

Aminpro

Alright, I got what you mean. All of the groups are already in hex. Everything is working as it should be now :D

Aminpro, Dec 8, 2013
  15. Aminpro

Conformist

Just stumbled onto this thread. Minder works very well with robust serial connection. Sometimes when using suspect adapters, it's better to drop the baud rate. I must say that mine is still going strong after 14 years. I have the 'other' flavor that also has wireless security options. I have two wireless reeds on some windows about 15 metres from the panel, through old brick walls and they are still working great (never replaced batteries). Despite all of the knockers of this product, it was well ahead of its time. What you will probably all find interesting is that I was involved with the next gen or this product (not through Clipsal) and it was to operate on TCP/IP (not serial)... not bad for 2001

Cheers

Conformist, Dec 8, 2013
  16. Aminpro

rhamer

Don't have any prototypes in the back shed do you ? ;)

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Dec 9, 2013
  17. Aminpro

Aminpro

Not bad indeed. The Minder is suitable and still not that outdated in my opinion. Just that I wished the programming interface(scenario) is a bit programmer friendly instead of relying too heavy on user friendly interface.

I think they should have an advanced mode and basic mode, advanced would be typing lines of codes with guides just like how we can write C# on visual studio since probably lot of us are familiar with that. Having to write basic codes with separate functions and using includes is quite inefficient I must say.

Aminpro, Dec 10, 2013
  18. Aminpro

Aminpro

Not bad indeed. The Minder is suitable and still not that outdated in my opinion. Just that I wished the programming interface(scenario) is a bit programmer friendly instead of relying too heavy on user friendly interface.

I think they should have an advanced mode and basic mode, advanced would be typing lines of codes with guides just like how we can write C# on visual studio since probably lot of us are familiar with that. Having to write basic codes with separate functions and using includes is quite inefficient I must say. Or at least make the writing as we would write in C since that gives more flexibility while providing all the necessary libraries and definition files.

Aminpro, Dec 10, 2013
  19. Aminpro

Ashley W

It kind of does have a basic and advanced mode. Basic you use 'insert line help' and it writes the line for you based on what you want to do. Advanced you write the 'code' raw. Now know not quite what you are after, but gives some flexibility.

As for includes etc, they are a basic part of the whole operational methodology of minder. Your meant to write small functional scenarios where all lines are executed seemly in parallel and not line order then include and exclude scenarios when you need or don't need them. Minder is not designed to work as a sequential/traditional code type of box.

Ashley W, Dec 10, 2013
  20. Aminpro

Aminpro

However, after some time testing the code, I'm getting the hang of it :).

Edit: I've found the Clear LCD function :) Progressing in my program ^^

// problem solved: Just I can't seem to get the 'Check all sensors' before arming code right.

I think my code is correct but only the display is not displaying correctly. It was like trying to display 2 things at the same time. //

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Aminpro, Dec 10, 2013
Ask a Question