Minder Mk II software

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Chatz, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Chatz

Chatz

I installed a Minder around the year 2000 and have only used it as a C-bus interface. The system has run well, however, I programmed my daughters bedroom light to turn off after 5 mins (she was young and would never turn it off). I then lost communication with the interface (probably because I upgraded the computer) and couldn't change the light switch setting back.

She is now 19 and thoroughly annoyed that she has to reset the switch every 5 minutes. I have resurrected an old windows 98 computer, found the C-bus software and installed it, but it won't communicated with the MInder. I seem to recall that you need to install the MInder software first and then the C-bus software into that directory. Unfortunately, I can't locate the minder floppy disks.

Do I need the minder software, and is there anywhere that I could obtain it.

Chatz, Mar 25, 2011
  2. Chatz

oracle

yes I can help with the software if required however uselss for that project without the .ini file of your project.

why would you have needed the minder to turn the light off after five minutes when you can program the switch to do that on the cbus side? I assume there was more logic involved..

my suggestion though would be create a new group address for the light switch and the associated dimmer/relay channel and your problem will be solved. with no minder influence

you don't need the minder software installed to use the pc interface - you need to setup the comm port correctly in the software and ensure that minder is selected as the interface.

then F2 to scan the local network -

the last version of the V2 software is 2.7.10 and it still available on the website this would probably be the best software to use to edit the cbus network with your configuration

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
    oracle, Mar 26, 2011
  3. Chatz

Ashley W

I don't think you do need the Minder software to run the C-bus software. If you cannot communicate with Minder then a common fault, especially if you have a telephone interface is blown RS232 driver chips. If you take the cover off you will see a couple of chips on the right hand side near the comms port that are mounted in IC holders which allow them to be simply popped out.

Before popping them out turn off Minder (turn AC off then remove battery) and remember which way the chips went in. If you look they will have a dot or a notch at one end showing correct orientation (apologies if you already know about electronics). Take them to Jaycar and ask for two more then put in.

Not 100% sure but you may need to remove the telephone or expansion module if you have them fitted to get to the chips.

PS. Before turning off Minder ensure the memory battery has been replaced in the past few years. If not replace this first. Again Jaycar sell the batteries.

Ashley W, Mar 26, 2011
  4. Chatz

Ashley W

I think you will find that the OP just wants to use Minder as the interface to the c-bus network to change programming on a switch that does the timer. Don't think he wants to change anything in the Minder programming.

As I said above I don't think minder software needs to be installed to use the old c-bus installation software through Minder, so a lack of communication to me points to another issue such as blown RS232 drivers on Minder.

Ashley W, Mar 26, 2011
  5. Chatz

Chatz

Thanks for the help, it sounds like the RS232 chips have fritzed. The model numbers for the chips are MC1489AP and SN5188N for the transmit and receive.
    I tried Jaycar but the sales assistant said they only stock a single chip for send and receive which wouldn't be compatible. I have ordered the components from RS-online.

Because the comm chips failed probably 8 years ago, my backup of the software and the network database seems to have been lost. Once communication is established, will selecting Network to database option within the C-bus software allow me to reestablish all the unit ID's. And if there is a network conflict somewhere, will that prevent this. Sorry about the basic questions, but it has been a long time since I looked at this.

Chatz, Mar 30, 2011
  6. Chatz

Ashley W

Wow they used to be pretty common chips. Guess electronic shops aren't what they used to be.

In regards to the getting the data from the network, the answer is yes you can get the info off the devices, what will be missing though are the names for groups and devices. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find the switch your looking for and re-program to remove the timer function. Not sure about fixing network conflicts, but if your network is running fine there really shouldn't be any anyway.

Ashley W, Mar 30, 2011
  7. Chatz

oracle

removing AC power and the battery from the minder will clear the minder memory requiring it to be reloaded, so any project files will be wiped.

oracle, Mar 30, 2011
  8. Chatz

Ashley W

As you would know there are TWO batteries. The power back-up battery which I was clearly referring to and the memory back-up battery that I advised the OP to check/replace BEFORE powering off the minder. In anycase to replace chips the board should be powered down completely.

Ashley W, Mar 31, 2011
  9. Chatz

oracle

on the original question which I answered earlier in another post

NO you dont need the minder software to use the minder as a PC interface

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    oracle, Apr 7, 2011
  10. Chatz

Ashley W

But of course you need to be able to talk to it, hence the new driver chips.

OP out of interest did they work and did you manage to change the timer?

Ashley W, Apr 7, 2011
  11. Chatz

Chatz

sorry for the delay,

I bought new chips and replaced them, but to no effect

The Minder system is starting to get less reliable and occasionally not working (lights won't turn on and the LED on the switch flashes)

This question has been asked before, but what would be the best replacement for the Minder. I am not presently using any of the Minder features, just the B-bus module.

Could I replace the Minder with a USB computer interface. If so, would the new software pick up all the addresses from the network without me having to reprogram the units and effectively start again.

Chatz, Feb 15, 2012
  12. Chatz

Chatz

to answer my own question, I contacted two installers pointing out the issue and that I would be happy to purchase any hardware they suggested and pay for one day to install the new controller and rescan the network etc. None of them were interested. So I removed the Minder, purchased a CNI from ebay, downloaded the toolkit and installed the CNI and software. It was very straightforward. Boy, the software has improved so much since the 90's. It found and resolved a conflict, found all the units and all is running fine again. It took about an hour. I must say, I don't understand why the installers would refuse such a simple job (although I am grateful because it saved me a lot of money).

Chatz, Mar 20, 2012
Ask a Question