Might get shot down for this post - Starserve seems taboo here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muppets, Oct 28, 2007.

1. muppets

muppets

Going really far out there now!

Starserve - Cbus both in the same category of high priced clipsal gear. What I want to do is merge the technology in a fairly cras manner. I love the simplicity of the starserve IR pass through system and understand why cbus cant share this facility however having both systems doing the same work seems backward when starserve follows cbus in the catalogue.

I have hypothesised a method of combining the two technologies IR capabilities hoever the end result is yet to be tested and I may be told there is technology available that defeats this workaround.

Has anyone ever tried using a PIERL or similar triggering the c-touch to invoke an infared signal from the NIRT to a starserve target through the starserve system to a modulator?

I know it sounds a bit of a birdsnest of programming but seems the only way of not needing targets all over a house and whilst using a cbus technology that can perform security and light control.

Please post your comments/ideas - however humiliating.

A very lost sparky in central qld. LOL

muppets, Oct 28, 2007
  2. muppets

Woody

Feeling your pain

I'm hearing your pain, Trying to do the same sort of thing. I am looking at recieving an IR command through Starserve & sending it out through a nirt, instead of a broad Ir command through the modulator. My customer has 3 x same brand DVD & 3 x 5.1 surround amps all in one huge cabinet, let alone the payTV settop boxes etc. I am needing to distingush which room the IR is being sent from so the corrosponding hardware can be activated.
    Probably not the right forum to be dicussing it but where do you go.

goodluck

Shane

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
    Woody, Nov 25, 2007
  3. muppets

PSC

IR should be routed via a separate Cat5 cable from each room to a central location within the home.

Obviously this can be hard to do if a house is already complete.

Separate Cat5 cabling for IR has many advantages like IR zoning.

Also, the Starserve method doesn't allow you to have multiple boxes of the same type i.e. 2 x Foxtel boxes.

PSC, Nov 25, 2007
  4. muppets

Woody

Thanks for the post Peter,
    I new this problem may arise so I have 3 x cat5's & 2 RG6's behind every AV outlet. All terminating back at one spot. You don't have any web sites or know of other forums dedicated to this type of control.

Thanks in advance

Shane

Woody, Nov 25, 2007
  5. muppets

PSC

PSC, Nov 25, 2007
Ask a Question