Metal Halids Run Off Dimmer as Substitute Relay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abg, Feb 11, 2009.

1. abg

abg

Just wondering if there is a problem running 3x400W metal halides off a dimmer (L5504D2U) but not for dimming purposes - just using the dimmer as a substitute relay.

I have what appears to be a faulty relay and have a spare dimmer which I thought I could use while sorting out the relay problem. There are 3 x 400w lights run through a contactor. If I make sure the channel dimmer is set to max/min 100% would this be ok or are their startup/shutdown issues that might damage the lights?

Thanks,

Andrew

abg, Feb 11, 2009
  2. abg

______.

If your running the MH lights through a contactor then you should be ok. The dimmer will always ramp on/off no matter what you do with the min/max settings. You may bet some bouncing on the contactor when it turns on/off, but it should work.

If your running the lights directly through the dimmer at 3x400W (1200W) you will blow the channel on the dimmer, it can only handle (about 600W)

______., Feb 11, 2009
  3. abg

NickD Moderator

If you're running the lamps through a contactor the minimum load requirement of the L5504D2U might be a problem too.

Nick

NickD, Feb 11, 2009
  4. abg

abg

Thanks for the feedback. I have two spare dimmers and no spare relays but as it is through a contactor it looks like I should wait for the warranty replacement of the faulty relay which should be on its way soon anyway (he says hopefully) :)

abg, Feb 12, 2009
Ask a Question