Memory capacity of BW touch screen

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by brodsky, Apr 10, 2008.

1. brodsky

brodsky

Hi gents,

Was just wondering. I have a site with 2 B&W touch screens. The programs worked flawless for months until yesterday when I tried to download minor updates to them.(I actually reduced the file sizes by deleting scenes and schedules)
    Obviously I was prompted to update the firmware first which I did. After that, I tried to download & got the message that I exceeded the memory capacity on the units. (128K)
    Why suddenly after the firmware update? It worked 100% previously.
    I had to cut down on the program files extensively, more than what I know the BW touch screens were able to handle. Does the new firmware have something to do with this?

Thanks
    Brodsky

brodsky, Apr 10, 2008
  2. brodsky

______.

From my understanding the new firmware in the B/W screens takes up more of the units memory, thus meaning not as much left for the project file.
    Clipsal has tried to help with this by give you a compression tools when you go to download. I found so far that it has worked everytime for all my old files.
    Cheers

______., Apr 10, 2008
  3. brodsky

Dave Byron

Brodsky
    Had the same thing - firmware gets bigger every time for features are added.
    There is now an option to set compression of images, try changing to a more compressed mode - that how I got around it.

dave

Dave Byron, Apr 10, 2008
  4. brodsky

ashleigh Moderator

Correct. New features take space.

For about the last 2 years we have put off adding features to try and ensure that customers do not have to go through the pain. When we had a good compression system, that presented the answer, but it *does* require effort by the customer to use the compression.

This is not a perfect solution, but it is the best compromise in the circumstances.

The saving grace, of sorts, is that the new B&W screen (the Mk2) has considerably more memory so this kind of thing is not likely crop up there for some long time.

ashleigh, Apr 11, 2008
  5. brodsky

brodsky

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just another question;
    If the images are compressed, does it cause the images on the screen to be of a lesser quality, and if so, how much less. Is the quality reduction very noticable?

Thanks.

brodsky, Apr 14, 2008
  6. brodsky

Mark

Bitmap Compression

Hi,

The bitmap compression algorithm does not affect image quality in any way.
    Consider it a kind of 2 dimensional RLE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding) on 'roids.

The trade off is that images needs to be unpacked before being displayed, so there is a small penalty to be paid on speed of screen redraw...

Cheers,
    Mark.

Mark, Apr 15, 2008
Ask a Question