Memory Capability Piced 4

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Thomas, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas

I have noticed that with Piced V4 on the standard B&W C-Touch, much, much less can be done. I would guess that this may be related to the more elaborate firmware.
    I am basing the above on the fact that I am busy with programming a few B&W C-Touch Screens, and cannot do nearly as much as before. This has been verified as follows:

An old project done with V 3.X which has ample spare memory, cannot be used on Piced 4, as the resource manager shows the memory to be exceeded.

Similarly, the currently progressing projects cannot be done with Piced 4, but show ample spare memory with Piced 3.9.1.

This merely as a caution to other programmers to be very careful with resources when programming a B&W Touch.

Thomas, Nov 26, 2007
  2. Thomas

Darren Senior Member

You are correct that the firmware now uses significantly more memory, reducing the memory available for project data. To compensate for this, we introduced bitmap compression. By selecting a higher rate of compression, you should still be able to fit old projects in.

See the help file topic "C-Touch Resources" for other ideas on making projects more memory efficient.

Darren, Nov 26, 2007
  3. Thomas

Thomas

Thanks Darren,

The compression option gives me basically the same amount of free memory as before.
    The question needs to ba asked though, what the effect might be on the operation of the Touch Screen. Would one have to expect a slowing down of it as a result of that?

Should have read the help file. The above question is answered there... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
    Thomas, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Thomas

darrenblake

Less memory space available???

This is something I love about Clipsal.
    The changes Clipsal make to memory space, tag length etc etc don't make a great deal of difference for new projects.
    How about doing the right thing by all those installers who have been long term supporters of the C-Bus products and have dozens or in fact hundreds of installations with C-Bus, C-Touch, SchedulePlus etc?? and provide a platform that does not require us to completely rebuild a project each time we wish to provide a revision upgrade to our clients!!!!

darrenblake, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

We try - by adding the features we are asked for, something has to give. So we try and compensate - with things like compression options and so on. It may not be perfect but its better than option 1 below.

Alternative approaches:

1. Cut a product off completely - no further upgrades possible, no support at all in new software. Life's easy doing that - for developers. It's hell for integrators and end-users who want upgrades on existing product.

2. Build in loads of excess capacity - so there is always something in reserve. The per-unit cost is higher as a consequence.

Either way, somebody loses something.

Capacity in electronics is improving for the same $ (or, you get the same capacity for less $), this means that some new products are now leaning to option 2 above instead of being engineered to within an inch of survival (by selecting the smallest thingy to do a given job.)

The situation will improve for new products as a consequence. In the meantime though, a LOT of effort goes into keeping an upgrade path open for existing products.

ashleigh, Nov 28, 2007
Ask a Question