Media Control Player

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Nathan, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Nathan

Nathan

I was wondering if anyone has had much succcess with the media player control function on the colour c-touch.
    I was able to get it working on a new Dell PC and works fine for about a minute then it crashes the windows media player with errors constantly appearing on the pc "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" this will appear on the pc even if the colour ctouch is not connected and the plug in is selected. I tried it also on my laptop and it constantly crashes the windows media centre as soon as I select the plug in. anyone else have these dramas is it something I have to change in Media player????

Nathan, Jun 15, 2006
  2. Nathan

Richo

Ouch... Can you please contact tech support and work through the issue with them. It certainly sounds nasty and contacting tech cupport directly is the *best* way to get the full attention of the necessary people.

Of course this behaviour is not the intended behaviour.

Feel free to report your progress here for everyones benefit of course.

Richo, Jun 15, 2006
  3. Nathan

Nathan

Rang Technical they are trying to figure out why. They seem to think Darren wrote the plug in? Darren do you have any idea why my PC,s do this?

Nathan, Jun 15, 2006
  4. Nathan

Darpa

Just on a different note, and knowing nothing about the particular plug-in in question....

Coming from an IT background, and being someone who uses Media Player on many different PC's daily, I can tell you that Media Player has a tendency to crash, especially when used with plug-ins. Yes, some plug-ins are more stable than others, but it is still a finicky program.

Just some tips that MIGHT, and I repeat MIGHT help you out a little, are the following:

I'm assuming that as your PC is a Dell, it came pre-installed with windows and all the other absolute crap that Dell insist on installing at the factory (yes, I'm also calling Windows crap in that sentence). IF you have available to you a normal copy of Windows, not the recovery disks from Dell, try installing a fresh copy of windows on your PC from scratch, minus all the Dell crap, and once you have done this and activated windows, go to the microsoft website and download the latest copy of Windows Media Player from Here.

Also, try turning off all other plug-ins that you have installed.

The longer you use a computer on a daily basis, the more crap that builds up, and every time you un-install a program, it leaves pieces of itself behind, which, in combination with windows and every other program installed, can sometimes de-stabilise certain parts of your system.

Hope this helps :)

Darpa

Darpa, Jun 15, 2006
  5. Nathan

Richo

Darren didn't write it.

Richo, Jun 15, 2006
  6. Nathan

Darren Senior Member

I get blamed for everything :(

In this case it isn't my software. Are you using it with Media Player 10 ?

Most people have had no problems with it, but there have been some reports of problems. We will need to look into it.

Darren, Jun 16, 2006
  7. Nathan

Nathan

Darren
    I just upgraded to media plyer 10 and the same thing that was happening to laptop is now happening on this machine as soon as i select the plugin I get "system cannot find the file specified" error which opens about 30 times then crashes the media player and shuts it down. I repeat the proccess several times on different machines here and get the same error any ideas?

Nathan, Jun 16, 2006
  8. Nathan

PaulC

just a quick thought....

are you running any firewall / network protection software on the machines? (especially windows firewall). If you are try disabling them before you use the software, it may be causing the plugin some hassles in establishing its connections.

PaulC, Jun 16, 2006
  9. Nathan

Nathan

No firewall turned it all off still does the same thing as above. Who wrote the software for the plugin ???

Nathan, Jun 16, 2006
  10. Nathan

Darpa

Hi Nathan,

If you send me a copy of the installation program for the plug-in you're talking about, I will spend some time trying to nut it out for you, as I've spent some time trying to fix broken WMP plug-ins before.

I have a spare system that has nothing on it that I can set up any way I need to, to try and replicate your problem, and see if I can find a solution.

Check your PM's Nathan, I've sent you a message with my email address in it.
    Also, is this plug-in available for download anywhere on here?

Regards,

Darpa:)

Darpa, Jun 16, 2006
  11. Nathan

Richo

It's developed by the engineering team here in Adelaide like most of our products.

Diagnosing issues related around this is complicated and I thoroughly recommend following through with the support request you have opened. That is the only way to guarantee the necessary resources will be applied to the problem.

Richo, Jun 16, 2006
  12. Nathan

Darpa

Well, I'm baffled Nathan,

I have tried testing the plug-in every way I can think of, using Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, with no updates, with SP1, with SP2, with full current updates, etc, even testing it in the new Windows Media Player 11 Beta!

And although I dont have a C-Touch to connect to, I could not get the plugin to crash under any configuration. I guess that if your computer is crashing with it even when you aren't plugged into the C-Touch, then there must be something wrong with your installation of Windows or another program on your computer causing problems. Or possibly, but highly unlikely, you might have a piece of hardware interfering.

BUT, as you said, you tried it on both your desktop and your laptop to the same effect. I would suggest you make yourself a list of all the pieces of software that are the same on your two computers, because once you've done that, you have a list of possible culprits.

But I am still leaning towards a stuff-up on Dell's part with their factory installed configuration...

Good luck champ,

Darpa:)

Darpa, Jun 19, 2006
  13. Nathan

Richo

Good to hear!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
    Richo, Jun 19, 2006
  14. Nathan

mattyb

This is sorta off topic as I'm not really going to help, only pose another question but...

...I'm using WinXP SP2 & WMP11 and there doesn't appear to be the option of adding a plug-in, other than to "look for plug-ins on the internet". I know where it used to be but it ain't there in this version. Or am I crackers?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

mattyb, Jun 21, 2006
  15. Nathan

Nathan

Currently I got the Dell Pc going by rolling back the Pc to an earlier date and upgrading media player from 9 to 10 and then loading the pluging from piced. i still cant get the laptop going but will keep trying. It seems that if you have media player 9 install the piced pluging then upgrade to 10 was how my Pc had that error. Thanks Darpa for your help.
    I also noticed that the media player 11 doesnt have a plugin probablly because its still a beta version???? But the new layout looks good. It would be nice if Music Match and Itunes could also have remote control from the colour ctouch if someones not busy.
    Cheers

Nathan, Jun 22, 2006
  16. Nathan

ashleigh Moderator

Not busy? ? !?!

Careful you are not battered to death by the beating of the pigs wings!

ashleigh, Jun 22, 2006
  17. Nathan

Darpa

Hey MattyB,

Yes, you are right, there is no option to manually install Plug-ins in WMP11, you need to rollback to WMP 10, install the plug-in, and then re-upgrade to WMP 11.

Rollback instructions from Microsoft can be found Here.

Darpa :)

Darpa, Jun 22, 2006
  18. Nathan

mattyb

Thanks Darpa

I actually tried that and, although the option was there to install the plug-in in WMP10, it didn't actually install it. Or it didn't show me the plug-in with the check box under the 'Background' category.

Anyway, I didn't have much time to play with it..I'm sure I've broken my WMP installation somehow with all the updates and rollbacks and what-not. Certainly not a Clipsal/C-Bus issue.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll hopefully get somewhere when I have a bit more time to play the un-install/re-install game! :)

Cheers

Matt

mattyb, Jun 22, 2006
  19. Nathan

desd

There is more to all of this...
    The plugin works perfectly with MP10 (with all the MS update) on Win XP Pro SP2. The touch panel connects, sorts all the meta data and the remote control works seamlessly. No issues.
    However, we have not had the same success with a PC with Win XP Media Center 2005 SP2 nor with a nother PC with XP Home Edition, both with MP10. In both cases, when you try and "add" the "WMPCTouchControl.dll" plugin, it simply wont.
    We have "rolled back" the updates one at a time and still no go.
    It would be helpfull to know what versions of Windows (including versions and updates of MP10) this plugin has been tested with.

Des

desd, Jul 27, 2006
  20. Nathan

Alistair

Possibilities

It may be a memory leak but to be honest I would expect if that was the case it would be consistant.

More likly is a windows permissions or security problem.
    Check your security accounts and file permissions against those used to install the plugin. You may have to reset all the file permissions on the drive to get arround the problem.

Also check to see if there is anything new in the 'crypto' directory, some installers make a complete hash of windows access encryption.

'Documents and Settings\SomeUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\'
    and
    'Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\'

I am asuming the machines are standalone and not in an AD domain ..

Youn should also check the local security policy and programm access defaults as well as .NET Framework Policies for both machine and users.

Its a big subject, you should probably get Tech support to point you in the direction of anything that may be causing a problem.

If you remove and reinstall the plugin make sure that all recistery setting are removed befoer you reinstall, again tech support should be able to tell you what to remove, again permissions problems can cause eronious registry entries, check them manually where posible.

BACK UP THE REGISERY FIRST !!!!!!!!!! and to be safe save a restore point as well If you are not sure get help before you muck up the system

Have fun ....

Alistair, Jul 27, 2006
Ask a Question