Master Off Methods

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by thelauman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. thelauman

thelauman

Hi again.. heheh

Just like to get a feel for what ppl think the best way to set up a Master Off function. Currently there are three ways that I know that seem to work.

METHOD 1:
    a) Create an Area address, called MASTER OFF, for each of the output units (dimmers/relays).
    b) Then assigning that group address to a key input set as ON/OFF.

PROS:
    - easily programmed
    - effectively functions as MASTER ON as well

CONS:
    - switching all output loads ON or OFF instantaneously can cause a large power spike and is possibly not energy effective (please correct me if im wrong) - this may be avoided by assigning a RAMPOFF command to the button which gradually switches loads off avoiding sudden spikes
    - non discriminatory ie will turn EVERY LOAD off (which i suppose is the function of a MASTER OFF) but may have some undesired outcomes. Hypothetical eg, if master off button next to master bed is pressed while someone else is working in the study then their lights will go off to.

METHOD 2:
    a) Assigning each output unit its own Area address. eg. the first dimmer the Area address might be DIMMER1, the second DIMMER2 etc...
    b) then creating a MASTER OFF Scene on a C-Touch which
    has each output unit DIMMER1, DIMMER2, RELAY1 etc... listed in the 'Scene Actions'. These items could then be set to Ramp off over a given time.

PROS:
    - fairly easy to program; create an group address which can trigger the scene eg "En SC MASTER OFF" assign that to a touchscreen button (or key input if in lighting application) and voila
    - avoid electrical spikes

CONS:
    - requires a C-Touch
    - again nondiscrimatory, but a little more flexible that Method 1 in that you could list all the output units EXCEPT the one with the channel you want kept on, and then list all the individual channels of that unit setting them also ramp off except for the one u want left on eg. a light next to touchscreen so when u press master off you are not in total darkness - altho i suppose could be avoided by setting a longer ramp rate.

METHOD 3:
    a) Creating a MASTER OFF Scene listing EVERY individual channel in the project.
    b) as before, trigger this scene by creating an enable group address (En SC MASTER OFF) and assigning it to a button or key input

PROS:
    - flexibility to control every channel, ie leave certain channels on or at a slower ramp rate so u are not left in darkness etc..
    - avoid electrical spikes

CONS:
    - requires a C-touch
    - VERY time consuming to create scene and modify later, especially in large projects

I invite all to comment on the above.

Cheers eh.

thelauman, Dec 18, 2004
  2. thelauman

ICS-GS

I guess... If you have a touch screen, maybe method 2 would be really easily to implement. And if you dont, well... method 1 is the go. In reality, from your comments you are refering to a domestic situation and unless your project is in a 40+ sqm house you are talking say 20 LV down lights or so that would be on, you are therefore only switching 5 amps which is less that your kettle turning on and off. So i would not be all that worried about power spikes. But ramping off would be an ideal situation...

ICS-GS, Dec 18, 2004
  3. thelauman

ashleigh Moderator

Might be an idea to get used to using scenes. They are more flexible than area addresses.

[Aside: Area addresses have a big disadvantage. If you have the same group address in two physical different output units, and put different area addresses in those out units, then the automatic discrepancy correction system causes all manner of fun and excitement. Lights come on and off when you dont expect. I'll leave WHY this is as an exercise for the reader....]

And.. newer key units (Neo, Saturn, Reflection) all support scenes.

Wireless has no area addresses, and never will, because scenes are better.

Perhaps we need a better way of quickly programming scenes...

ashleigh, Dec 18, 2004
  4. thelauman

znelbok

read the manual

There is an example of a master off in it.

Your example 1 - On/Off does not work, you need to ramp off for it to work (time can be adjusted to suit).

znelbok, Dec 19, 2004
  5. thelauman

Darren Senior Member

Method 3 is the preferred option for the reasons outlined by Ashleigh. The new version of the C-Touch software (currently in Beta release) does make scene creation and editing a lot faster.

Darren, Dec 19, 2004
Ask a Question