making house energy efficient

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CUB, May 15, 2007.

1. CUB

CUB

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me to impliment at my home to try to make best use of the gear that i have installed.
    I have general SC503x inputs as local switches throughout
    I have 1x DLT in Living
    I have 1x B/W touch screen in kitchen
    I have 1x PAC
    I have multisensors in Living, Laundry, Bathroom, Hallway, Main Bed and Ensuite. (Only Bath,Ens and Laund in use at present)
    I have Ext PIR in driveway and carport
    and i have garage door connected to bus coupler

I have set up pretty much and it is definitly livable however i would like to maybe set more scenes and use multisensors "to try to do my part for the ozone"
    I also haven't really done much with the PAC yet and would like to involve this also.

Any ideas much appreciated

CUB, May 15, 2007
  2. CUB

Phil.H

You have the right ingredients to do just about anything, yes anything.

The question should be what would you like to do ??? How about lights coming on auto and at different dim levels for different times of the night. Good for bedroom hallways, bathrooms etc. Goodbye scenes etc are obvious. What about semi random lights for short periods making the house look occupied when no one is home - although not sure how good that one is for the ozone though, it is good for security though.

Anything you can dream up (within reason) you should be able to do with a CTouch and a PAC.

Phil.H, May 15, 2007
  3. CUB

One of the things that is commonly forgotten about is the use of the MIN/MAX settings inside of Dimmers.

Program your dimmers to have a maximum of 90%, which isn't overly noticeable. That way you save a little energy, and increase the life of the load.

Age, May 21, 2007
  4. CUB

harvey

dim ights at diferent times of the night

Phil this pretty well describes my place with a colour C-Touch but also being new at thisI'm having trouble dimming the lghts at various times. Is his simple or does it require more advanced programming?

harvey, May 21, 2007
  5. CUB

Phil.H

Harvey,

Dimming lights etc at different times requires conditional logic eg
    once movement detected and time zone = 1 then
    dim lights x to level a.
    once movement detected and time zone = 2 then
    dim lights x to level b.
    The above is not actual programming script however it is about as straight forward as that.
    C-Bus logic is available via the PACA or Colour C-Touch. The logic programming environment in the PICED commissioning software is nothing short of brilliant.
    Did you program your colour C-Touch ?
    Do you have the colour C-Touch program ?
    Are you familiar with the PICED software ?
    Have you had a look at the logic engine in the PICED software ?
    Would you be prepared to vote Darren for PM in the upcoming federal election. :p

Drop a line back on the question above and we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Phil.H, May 21, 2007
  6. CUB

harvey

Phil Thanks I will have a look again at Piced and see if I can find this menu. As for your questions yes I did program the C-Touch but I used all the wizards and drop and drag tools in Piced nothing thats out of the box. As for Darren I didnt know he was in the race.

harvey, May 22, 2007
  7. CUB

Phil.H

I have a PAC logic program which I put together for the purposes of helping newbies out (I was a newbie once ). If you would like a copy PM me with an email address ;)

Phil.H, May 23, 2007
  8. CUB

Ianr

One big advantage at the moment having a colour touchscreen (or schedule plus) as opposed to a B & W and PACA is that you can interrogate the multisensor or light level sensor for the actual light level. I have heard a whisper that this functionality may be coming out in the new B & W touchscreens. Allows for a bit more scope in yor programming.

Although dimming and turning lights on and off reduces energy consumption, one of the biggest users is heating/cooling (when carrying out energy audits on commercial buildings). Looking at putting in temperature offsets between nightime / daytime and scheduling heating / cooling to operate in lower tariff times etc. can give some big savings if you look into controlling your AC (via NIRT's) or other heating/cooling system.

I do not know if you maximum demand tariffs in Australia but looking into load shedding also can make some big savings (dollar wise). CBus is a powerful tool and has the interfaces to hook into just about anything if you have some time to experiment.

Ianr, May 24, 2007
Ask a Question