Mains Voltage supply

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by CC&C, Aug 11, 2006.

1. CC&C

CC&C

I had a recollection that the Australian Standard for the "Mains Voltage Supply" had changed some time back and I just managed to track it down (AS60038). It states that the "Point of Supply" Voltage should be nominal 230V +10%/-6%. i.e. the upper voltage can be as high as 253V and the lower 216V. I'm having problems with some dimmer units:

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636

and I've checked my mains voltage and it is 248V (was 251V about 6 months ago before a few more houses connected up). This voltage is within the Australian Standard limit so I have no grounds to ask for it to be lowered (I'm right next to the txfmr for the local neighbourhood so it isn't as if the "Point of Supply" will be too far above what I experience).

I've checked the input spec for the dimmer units (5504D2A) and it quotes 220-240V. Hence, will the dimmer units handle the higher voltages? I suspect the Clipsal response will be yes so that's why I am posing the question in this forum: Has anybody else experienced problems with dimmers and noted what the mains supply was? Or alternatively I'd be interested to hear from people who are connected to a mains supply of above 248V?

Thanks, cc&c.

CC&C, Aug 11, 2006
  2. CC&C

JohnC

Hi CC&C

Sorry for this question, perhaps I am completely missing something but here goes...

Would you please explain your logic as to why you think that excessive mains supply voltage has anything to do with your problems of intermittant flashes from your dimmers at night...

Let's say the voltage was 10% higher than nominal - all that would do is make the voltage to your lights 10% higher... If the voltage went from 230V to 255V (10% extra) for a split second and then dropped back down again, even that would not cause a particularly noticeable "flash".

So, I am unable to make the connection your mains being at 248V (your measurement) and the dimmers flashing ????

I have been involved with many projects where the mains voltage has been considerably above 240V (260+ onone site), and have not experienced problems with dimmers. The only problem I have had with dimmers is the occasional unit having 1 channel becoming stupid and switching on and off, but not dimming. Those were replaced by CIS under warranty, and the problem did not reoccur.

Western Australia was using 250V mains (+/-10%) not so very long ago, and I pretty sure that a lot of the areas are still regularly seeing over 250V - can anyone else confirm the mains voltage in WA now days?

I will discuss another reason for the flashing in the other thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
    JohnC, Aug 11, 2006
  3. CC&C

CC&C

I was heading down a path that the electronics maybe being gradually degraded at the higher voltage. I'm not saying that a sudden increase causes the flash, if this was the case I would be observing it on all channels at the same time. As the fault is intermittment, my experience with electronics and electrical goods is that it is usually related to the components, ie. a dry solder joint or gradual decay of components. One thing that could cause the decay of the compenents is something like higher than rated voltage, higher frequency, excess heat , etc. (all my dimmer channels operate at least 20% less than the rated capacity, hence, excessive heat dissipation isn't the issue in this case.)

Cheers, cc&c.

CC&C, Aug 14, 2006
Ask a Question