Mac with windows partition

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Rab_lone, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

Hi

I use a iMac for most of my work at home.
    I have a very old windows 95 computer running old software for toolkit 1.11.6?
    I need to upgrade both computers.
    Any thoughts on buying a new iMac and having a partition for windows and upgrading toolkit and piced software?
    Will this work and can I use USB drivers to connect to PAC and serial PC interface?

Thanks

Rab_lone, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Rab_lone

chromus

Be VERY careful which Mac u buy they are about to abandon X86 architecture in favour of ARM meaning you will hit a wall very quickly which ever way u jump.

If u buy now u will be stuck with an obsoleted architecture very quickly, if you wait then it wont be able to run x86 instruction sets.

IMO go a windows machine even a cheap one and take the stress away

chromus, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

Thanks very much and I will take your advice.
    Can you recommend what I need in PC specs to load more up to date software.

I have tried a few PC's but cant get pass the USB to serial driver and software seems to fail at times both toolkit and piced.

Rab_lone, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Rab_lone

chromus

Basically any celeron or i3 intel chipset machine with wifi and USB3 ports will be fine, even a little 13" netbook would work, just plug it in to a screen and keyboard for comfort.

If it is PURELY for CBUS toolkit and piced
    This is the cheapest at Officeworks and would handle the job,easily. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-stream-11-6-laptop-celeron-ak0004tu-hpak0004tu

If you want something that is a proper all of business solution then something like this should be more than adequate for a few years.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/638906/ASUS-X509JA-156-i5-Gen10-Windows-10-Pro-Notebook

chromus, Jul 8, 2020
    Rab_lone likes this.
  5. Rab_lone

chromus

** note - I'm not saying AMD wont work, just that they sometimes have iffy USB drivers for non mainstream functions so may or may not connect reliably to CBUS depending on model and driver

chromus, Jul 8, 2020
  6. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

Hi chromus, would this PC surfice?
    https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-15-6-inch-i7-1065g7-8gb-512gb-ssd-laptop.html

Rab_lone, Aug 20, 2020
  7. Rab_lone

chromus

chromus, Aug 21, 2020
Ask a Question