Mac Compadability?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by TheDuck, Mar 18, 2008.

1. TheDuck

TheDuck

Is anyone using Apple Macs with Toolkit, HomeGate, or am I barking up the wrong tree (apple tree that is) :)

TheDuck, Mar 18, 2008
  2. TheDuck

MIB

Hi Duck,

If you're running a Mac, you can always grab a copy of VMware or Parallels and install Toolkit et al inside a Windows virtual machine. I have had no problems in running the software in this manner.

Hope this helps!

MIB, Mar 18, 2008
  3. TheDuck

NickD Moderator

I have a macbook running XP Pro under Vmware Fusion and both Toolkit and PICED run fine. You want at least 2Gb RAM to run any VM IMO.. I've got 4Gb in mine - RAM is cheap :)

I don't think I've tried the USB PCI yet, but I've used it for updating project and firmware on the new B&W CTouch with no problems.

Nick

NickD, Mar 18, 2008
  4. TheDuck

ashleigh Moderator

Duck

I have run parts of some of the products under WINE (the Windows emulator for Linux and Unix, which you *should* be able to get for the MacOS.)

However, it is not a pretty experience (Wine is incomplete, after all) and I do not recommend it.

Using a VM is the way to go.

VMware Fusion and Parallels all cost money.

Innotek VirtualBox is also available for Mac AND THE BEST BIT IS IT IS FREE !!!

For any of these VM solutions you still need a legal, paid-up license for Windows XP or similar.

ashleigh, Mar 18, 2008
  5. TheDuck

NickD Moderator

Both good points.

I bought Vmware Fusion online from their US website. They were having a promotion for the MacWorld expo and I got a US$10 rebate, so I think it cost me about A$70 all up.

The current Macs come with "Boot Camp", which allows you to dual boot, whereas VMWare fusion runs under the host OS so you don't need to.

You do still need a licence for the guest OS though as ashleigh points out.

Nick

NickD, Mar 18, 2008
Ask a Question