M1Gold alarm panel speaker output to be distrubuted through Clipsal Matrix Switcher

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by apex6872, Oct 8, 2010.

1. apex6872

apex6872

First off I would like to say thanks for looking into this issue.

And secondly has anyone done this yet?

I have been recommended two different parts to convert the speaker output from the ELK M1GOLD alarm system (Russound ADP 1.2 or Channel Plus A0302) to line level audio.

Currently the high broadcast input of the Clipsal matrix switcher is being used by the ElanZ600 and the doorbell volume has been tweaked to perfect volume for the client.

After speaking to Elan,ELK,and Clipsal tech support I have 3 issues that have been raised.

First was by Elan because I will be using a Y RCA adapter to allow both audio sources to be connected to the Clipsal Matrix switcher's high broadcast imput.

The issue is of possiable electrical feedback to either audio source through the Y RCA adapter. Elan said I should build a isolation circuit to prevent possiable feedback. And ideas on how to build a isolation circuit that would be in place of the Y RCA adapter allowing 2 imputs to be isolated from each other and yet share 1 output? Or does this already exsist?

Second issue was rasied by Clipsal. I may need a way to adust the line level output from the alarm panel so that it is not way to loud or quiet because the Clipsal matrix switcher adjustments are set for the doorbell volume. Now this may be ok and I will not know till equipment is installed and tested. However I would like to have taken all suggestions into account to be ready to handle any issues.

Third issue was raised by ELK. They were concerned that I may drop below 4 ohms on the speaker output since I will also be using a outside speaker and 4 addtional inside speakers on speaker output 1 of the ELK M1 Gold panel. They wanted to know what the impeadance of the speaker to line level was and so far I have not got that info from either Russound or Channel Plus. I could use the speaker output 2 for the alarm speakers however I belive I will only have a generic Fire/Burgular message and lose the zone specfic descripters..gas detector...carbon monoxide...etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
    apex6872, Oct 8, 2010
  2. apex6872

apex6872

I may have a answer for my own question.

Talking to tech suport from Russound,and ADI system I have landed on this part.

http://www.owi-inc.com/product_main.asp?family_id=111

I had not though about what if both the ElanZ600 and the Elk M1gold are tiggered at the same time.

This has a priority override so that both signals won't be introduced at the same time which I belive also acts as a isolation circuit between each audio source. Also there is a volume adjustment so I can balance the 2 audio source to an accepable volume.

Thanks again if anyone has any other ideas.

Charles (Chad) H. Young III

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
    apex6872, Oct 9, 2010
  3. apex6872

NickD Moderator

Using a Y adapter for 2 outputs into a single input isn't a good idea as the 2 outputs will be trying to drive each other. An "isolation" circuit could be as simple as a resistor in series with each output. This isn't really "isolation", more "decoupling".... such a resistor will also affect the relative gains of the 2 sources.

To do this properly you should probably use a speaker level to line level converter, and a 2 channel line level mixer. Ideally the speaker input would have a relatively high impedance so it doesn't affect the impedance the amplifier sees.

I'd have thought there would be quite a few options in this area but as I said, I haven't tried it.. this is purely from a theoretical point of view... there may well be other tricks or factors I haven't thought of.

Nick

NickD, Oct 11, 2010
Ask a Question