Low voltage transformers

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Gavin Nation, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Gavin Nation

Gavin Nation

I have used many different brands and type of 12V transformers for downlights. There have all been sized correctly for the capacitance , rating etc. I have struck several problems, noisy lamps, noisy dimmer units, plasma interfence, etc.
    A very simple question, which is the best type?

Many thanks in advance
    Gavin

Gavin Nation, Aug 18, 2004
  2. Gavin Nation

znelbok

Have you seen the list of recomended transformers

http://www.clipsal.com/cis/lit_installtraining_dimmer.php3

We just isntalled about 40 Atco Possums. They are new to the list and they seem sto be working well. You can have up to 4 per dimmer channel

I have also used some Atco TED105's with no problems either,

Some other brand I have used are failing due to heat buildup, but I can;t remember what they are.

Basically they all work fine on the dimmers and if you stick to the chart you can't really go wrong (wish it was out when I bought the forst lot of tx's)

Mick

znelbok, Aug 18, 2004
  3. Gavin Nation

Gavin Nation

I have tried the possums, they caused plasma interfence. The one I have never had any problems with is of course not made by Atco anymore. I might try the TED105.

Thanks

Gavin Nation, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Gavin Nation

znelbok

excuse my ignorance, but can you explain plasma interference?

znelbok, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Gavin Nation

Gavin Nation

There have been a few different types of interference on the plasma screens. The first was a large number of horizontal light and dark lines rolling up and down the screen. The number and roll rate varied with different dimming levels of the lights. Another is two reasonably large dark lines half screen height apart, again the roll up and down with varying dim levels. At full brighness on the lamps the effect is the lowest. At about 65% it is the greatest.
    A few changes in cabling and dimmers, lamps produces differing effects.
    The cause was running the 240V lighting feeds close to the 240 power feed to the plasmam its not on the video signal into the screen.

Gavin Nation, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Gavin Nation

Josh

I am keen on trying the Atco Possums. I am wondering how many installers tried them and how many had issues.

You are more than welcome to send a private message if you have any input.

Thanks in advance
    Josh

Josh, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Gavin Nation

Nick Mullins

plasma interference from dimmers!

Gday Gavin,
    Try using a different input on the plasma.Like super video or component video.i have fixed a simialr problem with Clipsal Pot dimmers on electronic dimmers in a TV display room with projectors by changing to input source.I know its a different case but probably wirth a try. :)

Nick Mullins, Apr 22, 2005
Ask a Question