Looking for advice for new installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scoobalimalima, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Scoobalimalima

Scoobalimalima

Ok so I am still several months away from starting my c-bus installation on my new build but I'm slowly getting all the hardware piece by piece. Yet another question I have is,

- What is Burden and when should it be used?

My understanding is that it is some type of filter on the network but I am still unsure weather I'll require it or not and if so should I use hardware or software. Does this depend on what I have on my network?

My house is a pretty simple 4x2 single story and I'll have approx 8 universal dimmer modules, 1 12ch relay module, half a dozen or so PIR's, combination of DLT and normal switches, a few power supply modules, a local PC interface module and a Wiser II.

Also is there anything else that I should have or do (or not do) as part of my installation that have otherwise caused issues for others in the past.

I'm really enjoying this forum and what I have learned so far.

Cheers,

Steve.

Scoobalimalima, Jul 24, 2018
    Dave_F likes this.
  2. Scoobalimalima

Scoobalimalima

I just found some C-Bus basic training manuals online. I read vol 1 last night and about to start on vol 2. Great reading, and I have a much better idea about burden now.

Steve.

Scoobalimalima, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Scoobalimalima

Hollywoodperth

I'd love an update on how you are going? I'm going down the same path right now and could do with some pointers that you've learnt.

I'll be going with the SHAC and 10in touch screen

Hollywoodperth, Sep 11, 2018
  4. Scoobalimalima

Nath1304

Nath1304, Sep 11, 2018
  5. Scoobalimalima

Hollywoodperth

Why the litelux and not the pierlux?

The litelux is 750 lumens (approx 50W incandescent equiv) so you'll need a lot of them. Its rated for 36,000 hours.

The pierlux comes in 1200/2600/3700 lumens and rates for 56,000 hrs. So less lights which fail less often.

Not sure about the cost tho

Hollywoodperth, Sep 11, 2018
  6. Scoobalimalima

Nath1304

Fair point, might get a couple of pierlux to test out.

Nath1304, Sep 11, 2018
  7. Scoobalimalima

Hollywoodperth

I'd be a bit careful with the 3700 lumens one. It would look like a security light.

For downlight design, think back to the old halogen downlight days. Those units were generally 50W with a lumen output of 700 lumens (depending on narrow beam or wide angle).

The beam angle on the new LED ones, particularly those Pierlight models is 100 degrees, so don't need as many to avoid dark spots between lights. imo there's no value going to those litelux as they appear to be a replacement for 50 W halogens. For a new build go for the pierlux ones and space appropriately.

Hollywoodperth, Sep 12, 2018
  8. Scoobalimalima

Dave_F

Hi Steve and the team,

I'm interested to know how your build is going and what C-bus equipment you finished up with?

I am just building my first house and am going to install C-bus with the SHAC driver. To be honest, I have never touched C-bus and limited domestic work but working with some of my industrial mates to try and suss it all out. I am a qualified electrician and have a permit to work for self.

I plan on installing the following

1 x HBM601020G 203 module enclosure (or equivalent)

1 x HBM60420G 58 Module switch board enclosure (or equivalent)

Output’s

1 x 5500SHAC Wiser home automation controller 6 modules wide

1 x 5500PS C-bus power supply 4 modules wide

5 x L5508D1AP 8 1A Channel dimming relays 12 modules wide

2 x L5512RVF 12 10A Channel relays 12 modules wide

1 x L5504RVF20P 4 20A Channel relay (for IR heaters) 12 modules wide

5 x L5501RFCP 3 speed fan relays 3 modules wide

3 x L5501RBCP Shutter relays (more for roller shutters in future) 2 modules wide

1 x Pink C-bus cable
    =127 modules + 40 x 1A MCB’s for dimmers

Input’s

6 x 5085EDLW eDLT Saturn series pure white

2 x 5086NL-PW 6 key C-bus switches Saturn series pure white

7 x 5084NL-PW 4 key C-bus switches Saturn series pure white

2 x 5082NL-PW 2 key C-bus switches Saturn series pure white

3 x 5753PEIRL Indoor C-bus occupancy sensor

2 x 5753L Indoor C-bus occupancy sensor

4 x 5750WPL-GY Outdoor C-bus occupancy sensor

1 x 5031RDTSL C-bus temperature sensor (Unsure if this is required)

I am planning to put my sub board and C-bus panel in the garage so that it's all in one place (I see lots are saying don't but I have the space in there and can add another board if required later).

I am also interested to hear any further comments regarding the LED downlight's as well as any LED light strips, as I have a heap of them.

Do i need to have an incoming 10A RCD/MCB feeding the lighting relays (Dimming or I/O) and a 1A MCB on each output of the 8 channel dimming relay?

on the 12 channel 10A relay do you install a larger (16A) RCD/MCB? Problem here is that the 16A breaker is too big for the 1.5mm cable. Should I put a feeding RCD/MCB in for all relays with output MCB's to suit the load?

Is the 5500PS a necessity as a 36V power supply?

Do i need to have a temperature sensor at all?

I'm also looking at installing Power Tag's, so any info on that would be cool.

Thanks for the thread so far, it's been excellent.

Dave

Dave_F, Jan 28, 2019
  9. Scoobalimalima

Nath1304

Hi Dave,

I'll let you know in about a month how things work out for me. I'm the electrical contractor for my house that's getting built (never done a house before), tried to run in every cable I could possibly think of wanting so I don't have to get in the roof again (doubtful).

The enclosures I've used are the Hager flush mount (VF412PT), I've put all my enclosures on an internal wall in the garage, 1 power, 3 cbus plus the 4th 1 row enclosure for a SHAC controller later on.

Outputs:
    6x 5504D2U - 4ch universal dimmers
    4x 5512RVF - 12ch relays
    9x 5501RBCP - blinds controller
    1x fan controller
    1x SHAC

Inputs:
    10x 5753L - indoor sensor (garage, WIP, WIR, hallway, storeroom, toilets etc)
    3x 5750WPL - outside sensor
    5x 5085EDLW - eDLT
    10x switches - 2, 4 & 6 gang.

From what I've found with LED downlights most brands state trailing edge or universal dimming. Originally I was going to use 5508D1A 8ch LE dimmers, but changed my set up after finding out that info to all universal dimmers. I'm using S-Tech downlights, mainly because I've used them before and like them.

As for the power supply 5500PS, workout what the current draw is on your cbus network, i.e. the eDLT's draw 32mA, sensors 18mA. I haven't worked out yours but you probably won't need it as the relays & dimmers have a built in 200mA supply. Remember the network can't exceed 2amps (from memory?).

All my relays, dimmers, lighting etc will be protected by 10A RCBO's, I'm not putting in 1A MCB's because I don't have the room, the most lights I have on 1 channel is 8x 10w downlights, so I won't draw more then what the channels can handle (under normal conditions).

I want to install an outside temp sensor, still working that one out. But will have one in the cellar (wank factor).

I don't know what power tags are so i can't comment.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

Nath1304, Feb 10, 2019
    allanf and Dave_F like this.
Ask a Question