Long time, no connect! HELP?~?~ lol

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by emillika, May 3, 2023.

1. emillika

emillika

So kids have moved on and I find myself with time again to mess with HA and Clipsal after many years. I have a couple rs232 units and a Pascal controller BUT I can't get connected for the life of me. I bought this new usb\rj45 serial cable as I thought the old rs232 adapter\setup I had was the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFLKJ54?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Any help? I tried running the Clipsal Diag tool as well and I am stumped.

Pics here of the screen shots and unit with how I have it wired. https://1drv.ms/f/s!At8CUvlmgqUSh4VeXhpm7texd8eLsg?e=ELyjuQ

Thanks in advance! Thinking about buying a CNI but I'm in the US and parts are hard to come by.. unless someone wants to trade for some nice dimmers I have laying around here in Chicago!

emillika, May 3, 2023
  2. emillika

lcrowhurst

Plug one end of a usb lead into the top of the pascal controller (where it says USB) connect the other end into a usb port on your laptop. The pascal controller will then appear as a coms (serial) port on your laptop.

https://www.cleverhome.com.au/manua...Pascal-Automation-Controller-Installation.pdf

See page 4.2
    Two RS-232 ports are provided which allow the PAC to interface with external devices. They are NOT used for C-Bus programming, and require power in order to function

no need for the lead from amazon :)

lcrowhurst, May 4, 2023
  3. emillika

Ashley

You actually show both a PC interface and Pascal controller. As Laurence said, if you are using the PAC you must use the USB connection. If you want to use the PC interface then you will need to check that the cable you are using has the correct connections. There is no actual standard for RS232 via RJ45 connections so the cable you have may not be wired correctly. The connections are detailed in the installation manual. Alternatively, just by a USB to DB9 adapter and connect it on top.

Also, be aware that while you are using a PAC as a PC interface it won't operate as a PAC. i.e. all logic, scenes, schedules etc won't work. So if you want a permanent Cbus interface you will need to use the serial interface.

Finally, you are much better off mounting the PAC and PC interface outside of any main enclosure to ensure segregation of low voltage wiring.

Ashley, May 4, 2023
  4. emillika

emillika

Thanks! I got the PAC working after using the "front facing" usb port! Now I have to figure out how to connect it to Home Assistant to get some touch panel control. As I recall the PAC was provided in my big purchase initially as a cost effective way to configure and control my lighting.

emillika, May 5, 2023
  5. emillika

Wonkey

Remember what Ashley said if you are using the USB connection then the PAC cannot perform it logic engine functions which may provide a lot of extra benefit to your system (schedules scenes Logic instructions, etc) to Program the PAC you will need PICED
    I suggest you purchase a USB to Serial convertor suitable to work with Toolkit see this thread it may save you a lot of heart ache
    https://www.cbusforums.com/threads/beginner-pci-connection.10329/#post-55559

Wonkey, May 6, 2023
  6. emillika

lcrowhurst

Agree with Ashley and Wonkey. I suggested using the PAC, as that takes away any issues with wrong cabling or incompatible it interfaces :p

lcrowhurst, May 6, 2023
Ask a Question