Logic doing wierd things in the night....and day

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by muppets, Apr 28, 2008.

1. muppets

muppets

I have 2 pir's in a hallway to bring the lights on when they detect motion and control it all through logic (so I can adjust times, brightness level and ramp speed via selectable global variables), however, the lights every once in a while will turn on and stay on. Like the PIR's haven't been tripped as the moment a PIR is triggered the timer starts and the lights behave normally again - it is though they come on after power failure (though the power has only failed on one of the occasions out of around 10). They do it at wierd times that are not the same etc.

I have checked the recovery and this is not used on any of the equipment.

Also had a wierd occurance the other night had a power failure (the one time the hall lights were on after) my laundry exhaust turned on and stayed. It is controlled be logic as well (the aux input didn't have any functions for monitoring a held input from the humidistat so I coded the problem out).

Anyone experienced anything similar or can suggest where I should look?

I have checked all code and re-wrote it a couple of times to see if my logic was the cause.

I have started trying to move away from logic as there are other programs that have missed timers and the like before. We do live on a dirty supply but it is normally just outages every once in a while - maybe the odd voltage drop from the starting currents on machinery.

muppets, Apr 28, 2008
  2. muppets

Newman

The best place to start is to connect a PC running the C-Bus Diagnostic Utility software to a PCI or CNI and save the network traffic to a log file. When the lights turn on in this manner then note the time and check the log file to see which unit is turning them on.

Newman, Apr 30, 2008
  3. muppets

muppets

Thanx, will do.

I have a pc permanently connected to a cni and it's always on.
    I tried using the ctouch log but it wasn't always running due to restarts etc.
    BTW if I enable the ctouch log when I upload the program should it always be on when the ctouch restarts?

muppets, May 1, 2008
  4. muppets

filpee

I had a similar thing happen at my place. Hallway lights doing weird things.

Turned out that I had the logic running in PICED which was connected live to the network as well as a slightly different version of my code running in the PAC module.

Sounds like you are doing pretty much the same thing I am doing.

See my version of code here
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21481&postcount=5

filpee, May 1, 2008
  5. muppets

Memphix

How have you gone with this Muppets?

I have experienced many griefs with PIRs and logic.

My symptoms have been:
    - Lights turning on and never turning off
    - Lights turning on and turning off for no reason (on power return, the PIR goes through the motions as if it has been triggered)

I have done some PIR tests that have revealed:

When the output unit set to Auto Level Store setting, and group addresses are controlled by a PIR:
    - channel 1 will turn on and off (as per PIR settings)... acting as a false trigger.
    - all channels will turn on and off (as per PIR settings)... acting as a false trigger.
    - all but channels 2 and 4 will turn on and off (as per PIR settings)... acting as a false trigger.

As stated above, various results with the same settings and exact same test (cutting power to the whole test board with the PIR completely hidden).

When the output unit is set to Recover to 0%:
    - Same results as Auto Level Store setting

Also to note... the false triggering does not appear on the log.

I'm told the latest batch of PIRs have a new circuit board and firmware... hopefully we see a change.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
    Memphix, Sep 24, 2009
  6. muppets

Memphix

After several more experiments I have found that using the Recover Delay solves the problem of the cycling through the PIRs settings (for Dimmers only).

The delay needs to be set to the same (or just a little longer) as the PIRs time.

Or if there is logic also, the delay needs to be the length it takes to cycle through the logic also.

Memphix, Sep 24, 2009
  7. muppets

Lucky555

I have a PIR in the upstairs hallway sending a command on the bus (c-bus) only recognised by the PAC - there after turning on lights in the hallway and upstairs toilet with different dimmed levels based on times / stages of night.

My PIR / Logic PAC arrangement has never missed a beat so I would appreciate it if you guys would ensure your gremlins don't make their way over to my place :D

On a slightly more serious note, an example of your c-bus unit set up and your logic code would help others with suggestions / help....

If you have the products enabling you to write Snod-Logic then there is no reason why it should not tick away all day every day. There are a few tips and tricks though...

Lucky555, Sep 24, 2009
  8. muppets

Memphix

I wish it was a complicated logic issue Lucky555. However, a standard setup is all it takes. Possibly you have never lost power to your house or had any communication issues on your network.

I have just been informed by CIS that the new circuit boards in the PIRs do not behave in this manner :D

Now to test...

Memphix, Sep 25, 2009
Ask a Question