Locked/Corrupted Wireless switch after DB/network inconsistency.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by KevinH, Aug 5, 2006.

1. KevinH

KevinH

I had a situation where the database version of a Saturn wireless switch was updated without scanning the wireless network - then when the wireless network was scanned and the unit opened and then updated CBus Toolkit crashed. Later restarting of the CBus Toolkit left the wireless unit 'locked' for programming. The switch worked OK still though, but I couldn't program it (locked).
    So I cycled power to the switch. Now the switch doesn't work at all, It's neons initially all flashed bright and then stayed dimly lit and it wouldn't enter learn mode or control the local light or any groups. However it could still be seen on the network but was 'locked' . So I deleted the DB entry for the switch and now I could open the switch in CBus Toolkit but it crashed after reading all the data. Later power cycles have the same result neons flash bright then stay all dim and no local/group control.

On opening the unit in Toolkit it 100% reads the data but then says 'unit is locked - do you want to unlock it ?" If I say yes it re-reads the data to 100% but then crashes immediately after loading it again.

How can I recover this switch ? K
    C-Bus Toolkit 1.4.0

KevinH, Aug 5, 2006
  2. KevinH

Duncan

Hi Kevin,

Interesting problem.. I havent come across it before.. you could try this:

Create a new switch in your database at the address of your "faulty" switch.. open the DB instance for programming and make no changes.. but when you close the UI save it to the Network and DB..

Duncan, Aug 6, 2006
  3. KevinH

KevinH

I think I've done something now which will stop me being able to try this. I had only one wireless switch , a remote and a gateway on the wireless network. Anyway to get around the immediate issue I added a new switch and re paired the new switch and the gateway (and the remote) now I can't see the original Saturn switch on the network. :-(

Is there anyway of resetting a Saturn to default settings perhaps by a key sequence at power up ? I don't think the Saturns have programmable firmware (do they ?) so I suspect it just has bad configuration data that is messing it up. Unfortuantely I can't get it into learn mode.

K

KevinH, Aug 6, 2006
  4. KevinH

ashleigh Moderator

You cannot use a key sequence at power up (though it is a good idea).

It would appear that the unit settings have some kind of disagreement with what Toolkit thinks are legal values - hence the load to 100% and then barf.

The only way to clear the unit is to get it into Learn - which it seems you cannot do.

You need to return the unit for repair.

ashleigh, Aug 7, 2006
  5. KevinH

ashleigh Moderator

I forgot...

If Learn has been disabled for some bizarre reason, the firmware will still let you enter learn provided you do it within 300 seconds (ie 5 minutes).

So you can try cycling the mains power, then run to the dodgy unit really fast, and try to enter Learn.

ashleigh, Aug 8, 2006
  6. KevinH

JohnC

he he ashleigh - that is kind of like the method used to disable the "non-disable-able" Traction Control on some German cars :)

vee haf vays !

JohnC, Aug 8, 2006
Ask a Question