Locating 5500CN

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by damo_sa, Apr 1, 2014.

1. damo_sa

DarylMc

DarylMc, Apr 5, 2014
  2. damo_sa

rhamer

Hi Daryl,

I'm not trying to continually disagree with you, but the CNI does support DHCP and comes shipped that way.

I understand that you have had problems in the past, and I can't comment on your experiences, which I'm sure are how you describe them.

Where I think the confusion lies, is whilst the CNI supports DHCP, the software that talks to it (i.e. C-Gate) does not.

So in practice the CNI out of the box gets a dynamic IP address from DHCP, and you then use that address to communicate with it, so you can set a static IP address, as is required by C-Gate.

Now it's not to say G-Gate won't work with an IP address set by a DHCP server, it will, but if the address changes, then it won't know, and will stop working.
    Normally units with DHCP assigned IP addresses are communicated with using its name, which is the bit that is not supported.

The real problem lies in getting a second hand CNI that has had a static address set for a different subnet to the one it is now on, the Lantronix discovery protocol can't find the device, because it relies on non routable broadcast messages, and you can't communicate with it. The correct method is to set it back to dynamic DHCP before removing it from the old subnet and connecting it to the new. If that has not been done (as is quite likely in this case) then there is a fall back magic bit of trickery available using ARP spoofing and Telnet to force temporary communication, and allowing the IP to be either set for the new subnet, or set back to DHCP.

I hope that clears it up.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 5, 2014
  3. damo_sa

DarylMc

Hi Rhamer
    I still don't quite understand but thanks for all the information.

Didn't mean to side track your instructions on how to go about setting a temporary address, which will be very helpful for damo.

Regards
    Daryl

DarylMc, Apr 5, 2014
  4. damo_sa

ashleigh Moderator

Rohan is correct: the Lantronix brick does support DHCP, but as he points out the D part of DHCP stands for DYNAMIC: the IP address can change.

As a rough generalisation, pieces of infrastructure should not use Dynamic addresses. Use a fixed address, and write it up or allocate it on a building plan.

When a device needs to be moved from one IP to another (being re-purposed), you *may* be able to use the latest Lantronix DeviceInstaller with a cable plugged directly from a PC to the CNI. I have had some success with this method but it is not something that works universally.

If that fails then normally DeviceInstaller will at least tell you the IP address that the CNI is on. Then, keeping the PC direct connected to the CNI, change the PC ethernet adapter (on a temporary basis) to be in the same subnet as the CNI. Then DeviceInstaller will change it (to DHCP, or to the new static IP). Then put your PC back as it was.

This can all be a bit of a pain but the above process of direct connection does work reliably.

None of this is a CNI / Lantronix peculiarity. Its all just part of the joy of IP networks.

ashleigh, Apr 5, 2014
  5. damo_sa

damo_sa

I can't do it. Tried it to the letter, it just won't play the game for me. Thanks for the help offered though, cheers, Damo.

damo_sa, Apr 7, 2014
  6. damo_sa

damo_sa

Sorry for the short reply above, I hadn't read page two or three of this thread as I didn't notice it had expanded so far, I was getting email notifications when a post was made but that stopped so I figured no one had replied.

Thank you all for your discussions, I will further investigate the half duplex idea of Brad's as well as Rohan and Daryl's ongoing suggestions. It is certainly an old unit, I got it from a friend out of an existing system when it was installed nearly 8 years ago.

The LED lights on the 5500 do change as soon as a cable is removed or connected to a computer / router, so it does appear to be working, it's just the ARP / Telnet magic would not play the game, be it connected with crossover cable or straight through cat 5.

As for the wiring, I brought the Cat 5 cable through just recently after bringing the other end down into my study. The RS232 and 5500 modules were put there as there is another cupboard to the right full of CBus 8 and 12 channel dimmers, there was no more room left for them in there.

Thanks again.

damo_sa, Apr 8, 2014
  7. damo_sa

tobex

There are several tools available from Lantronix which related to the Serial to Ethernet conversion inside the CN.

You have a tool there which can "hunt down" a serial port converter.

You will need a recent version of Java if you intend to open the HTML page for direct configuration.

Perhaps also constrain the DHCP range in order to prevent clashes between sloppy DHCP allocation and static addresses. I normally allocate 48 DHCP IP numbers to a network as the routers are seldom able to handle more than 32 IP addresses (concurrently operating) in the consumer range. By isolating your static numbers to be outside the DHCP ranges you will eliminate one variable.

Some Netgear routers are also able to list used addresses in a table, even if they are in a different subnet. That was how I found my CN when it was somewhat different to my default.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    tobex, Apr 12, 2014
  8. damo_sa

RGV

Hello people,
    just quickly want to re-ignite the topic :)
    have not so old (9 years from now) 5500CN unit with C-bus2 writing. it was working fine for 7 years (bought second hand) but recently could not connect ... then could not connect at all... - went through everything as above and multiple other forums.
    current status:
    1. direct connection via cross-over - can be picked up by Lantronix Device Installer and can partially talk, Though light is orange and just flicks sometimes randomly (not based on traffic)
    2. When connected via hub - Orange stays, NOTHING can connect and the light on the switch for 100M does NOT even light up ..
    The question:
    1. does it mean that my Ethernet connection blown and i can put the unit into rubbish bin?
    2. What are my other options to reset hardware?
    3. where can I find the most recent firmware file that I can try to update it since CLIPSAL no longer supports this unit and anything good and real is impossible to find on their web site?
    4. if I am to replace this unit, what should i go for? (if I want constant Ethernet connection and in reality need to finish :) this home install and get it running properly with all mobile devices and controllers :-D )
    thanks in advance guys!

RGV, Feb 24, 2019
Ask a Question