Local Overrides on Dimmer flashing green

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by multivits, Jun 9, 2010.

1. multivits

multivits

Hi Forum
    Could you let me know what a green flashing local override indicator/button means on a Universal Dimmer?

They seem to be normally orange or not on at all, but some start flashing if you toggle them.

TIA

Multivits

multivits, Jun 9, 2010
  2. multivits

NickD Moderator

It's in the instructions :) Also on the "Status" tab in Toolkit.

Flashing green means there is no power on the channel... being a 2 wire design, this can be due to :

- no load connected (eg a blown lamp)
    - breaker to the channel has tripped

The other codes are

Solid orange - normal, channel operating in TE (Trailing Edge) mode
    Solid green - normal, channel operating in LE (Leading Edge) mode
    Flashing orange - thermal overload (poor ventilation and/or excessive load)
    Flashing orange/green - overcurrent (due to a short circuit or extreme loading)
    Flashing green - no power on channel

Nick

NickD, Jun 9, 2010
  3. multivits

multivits

Thanks Nick.

FYI

But we don't have the instructions (because we are end users and not the installers). The manual I did manage to find on the Clipsal website didn't cover the flashing green inidcator scenario (that's why I am here posting to get some info).

We don't have the C-Bus toolkit installed.

To make things worse the down lights and their transformers are in a 3 metre high ceiling which has only limited man hatch access and all wiring in the ceiling space is covered with insulation.

So any wiring faults or burnouts are going to be very difficult to rectify. This is why we need to interpret the C-Bus equipments indicators exactly before we rip open the ceiling space.

The installers have bolted and left us holding the baby.

Thanks.

Multivits

multivits, Jun 9, 2010
  4. multivits

Newman

Here's the manual from the website for the Universal Dimmer. Green flashing indicators are listed on page 14.
    http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/__data/page/2139/c-bus_L5504D2U_Installation.pdf

Can you post a link to the instructions that don't have this info? If there are erroneous instructions on the Clipsal website somewhere, that needs to be fixed.

A burn-out is very unlikely, unless the installer has not followed the wiring rules. Check all your breakers and check your lamps first. If all 4 channels are flashing green and no breakers have tripped, then it's most likely a loose connection on the feed to the dimmer output channels, as the power to the dimmer output channels is separate to the power for the dimmer unit itself. If it's only 1 channel that's flashing green then it could be a loose/broken wire, a faulty ballast or a blown lamp (depending on ballast type). You can check things like lamps and breakers without needing to call an electrician.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
    Newman, Jun 9, 2010
  5. multivits

Newman

If all your lights are working, but you're still seeing the green flashing indicator on a channel, then it also may be the case that the electrician had a spare channel which he left un-connected but turned on. This would also show as a flashing green indicator on that channel.

Newman, Jun 10, 2010
  6. multivits

NickD Moderator

Sorry.. I had assumed you were an installer.

Eek... not foil I hope! Was it recently installed? If so maybe you can get Mr Rudd to pay for the repairs :(

Nick

NickD, Jun 10, 2010
  7. multivits

multivits

I found the Clipsal web site very difficult to navigate around and couldn't find the extact manual so I used "C-Bus DIN Rail Four Dimmer Installation Instructions". I don't have a link to it.

But Thanks for posting the proper manual's link.

We actually had one wire burnt on another dimmer circuit, the installer had laid it across the top of the lamp and that dimmers supply circuit trip had popped out.

On this dimmer though some channel indicators are orange and when we toggle others they flash green.

Although I am not the installer I am well qualified but have never played with C-Bus and have been thrown in at the deep end. I will do some RTFM on that manual.

Because of the burnt wire, that we already found, we are now seeking a remediation from the original installers. This is a relatively new installation.

Thanks

Multivits

multivits, Jun 10, 2010
  8. multivits

multivits

Navigation of the Clipsal Website to find technical data quickly:

1) Clipsal only put limited information on the C-Bus units themselves

e.g "C-Bus2 Universal Dimmer"

The important "L5504D2U" etc is not on the unit.

2) So if a techie guy like me grabs that info off the unit

e.g "C-Bus2 Universal Dimmer" and plugs it into the Clipsal website search criteria with "manual" at the end here is the URL of what you get:

http://search.clipsal.com/clipsal/a...aul&search.sort=score+desc+title+asc&x=31&y=9

None of the information on this webpage relates to my dimmer. A better web site would help greatly.

Thanks

Multivits

multivits, Jun 10, 2010
  9. multivits

Newman

Newman, Jun 10, 2010
  10. multivits

NickD Moderator

Yikes... sounds like they should be checking the entire install :(

The ones that come on solid orange are operating normally... orange means they either have a plain-vanilla incandescent load, or an electronic transformer load. You may also see channels coming on *solid* green.. this happens if they have an iron core transformer load or a fan.
    The flashing green means that channel isn't getting any power.. this could be that it's just not wired up (ie spare), it could be a wiring problem (open circuit), or it could be that the channel has been damaged somehow.

Nick

NickD, Jun 10, 2010
  11. multivits

multivits

Hi Nick
    There are definately cables in the terminals that correspond to the toggle indicators.

Yes we are now tryingh to get the whole install reviewed.

Thanks for all the help.

Multivits

multivits, Jun 10, 2010
  12. multivits

ashleigh Moderator

I assume that a burnt wire near a lamp was near a low voltage downlight (cos they get very hot on the back).

LV downlights are supposed to have NOTHING nearby, no insulation, timber, wiring, etc. Check the clearance, I think its about 200mm or something similar - surprisingly big. I think they are also now supposed to have a can over them on the inside (ceiling) side as well but can't remember this for sure.

Whatever - get your install checked very carefully. Your sparky must have been a complete cowboy.

ashleigh, Jun 10, 2010
Ask a Question