List for new house

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hilly, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Hilly

Hilly

So here is my list of my total electrical fittings for my house.

I have split the house in two
    First side of house.
    100 x down light
    9 x blinds
    8 x ceiling fans
    5 x exhaust fans
    8 x sensors

Switches
    8 x single buttons
    7 x 2 buttons
    5 x 4 buttons
    3 x 6 buttons
    1 x color touch screen

Other side of house that is the in law
    List

60 x downlight
    4 x blinds
    4 x celiing fans
    2 x exaust fans
    16 x 16 watt twin fluros
    8 x sensors

Switches
    9 x single buttons
    4 x 2 buttons
    2 x 4 buttons
    2 x 6 buttons
    1 x color touch screen

Extras
    1 x alarm system
    3 x roller doors
    5 x security cameras

I am looking for help with the rest of hardware to see what you guys would use/ recommended for the above.:D

Is it better to have all lights on dimmers or not.:eek:

Any help would be much appreciative.

Thanks

Mark Hill

Hilly, Nov 30, 2010
  2. Hilly

tobex

What do you propose will be the brand and design of the lights ?

12V. 240V, CFL, LED ?

tobex, Nov 30, 2010
  3. Hilly

paulw11

Hi,

My first suggestion would be to look at using the new 30 mech push buttons rather than the "classic" C-Bus key switches if you aren't using Saturn or Neo (Anywhere where you only need a single button for example). These have the more advanced features of the Saturn/Neo. They also let you install a 3 or 5 gang switch, where Saturn and Neo are only even numbers. I have sometimes found myself adding functions where they aren't really needed simply to use up a spare button.

As to whether to use dimmers or relays, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Relays will let you control more loads per channel, while dimmers give you control over light levels. Often, the function of the room will guide you; Dimming may be useful in living areas, media rooms, bedrooms, even ensuites (My ensuite light comes on at 25% at night). Relays might be more appropriate for controlling loads in the kitchen, hallways, outside lighting and so on.

The other consideration is the load type. For fluorescent loads you will want relays.

Paul

paulw11, Nov 30, 2010
  4. Hilly

Hilly

sorry 50 watt halogens
    some areas i will put the osram 35 watt ones

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
    Hilly, Nov 30, 2010
  5. Hilly

NickD Moderator

No offense intended, but a list like this doesn't really mean a lot without a plan of what's doing what and what's going where.

Other comments :

- halogen downlights might look cool, but unless you get the layout right they are a very inefficient way of lighting... and on top of this, the lamps are likely to be banned in the next few years (thank you Mr Turnbull), meaning you will be forced to replace them with LED (or something else)... with 160 fittings this is going to be *very* expensive (it will get cheaper, but by how much and how soon is an unknown.. to replace an existing MR16 with something of equivalent light quality and output at this point in time is probably going to set you back ~$100 per fitting). It's worth considering this now, and it might pay to get some advice from a good lighting designer. Personally I'd be trying to get this number down.

- personally I'd put dimmers everywhere except where you absolutely don't need them, like the laundry, the pantry (unless you're into midnight snacking), garage, outside, etc. Also don't put them anywhere where you want to use a CFL lamp (although I'd also recommend you avoid CFLs full stop, but that's a personal preference).

- do you plan on integrating any other services, like multi-room audio, HVAC etc? This might influence your choice of key units.

Nick

NickD, Nov 30, 2010
  6. Hilly

Hilly

Thanks Nick,

I will not be running any CFLS as i do not like them at all!
    as for dimmers i don't think i will run them in bathrooms,powder room, wir,pantry's, garage, outside.

I am hoping to run a Hai system later on.

I have spoke to a lighting guy he was little help
    plus the $5000 He wanted to do a lighting design put us off.

we have been working on the lights as per there specs and done tests
    with light spread and work out the best coverage for our home

what other alternatives do you recommend!

attached us a copy of the prelim drawings

Hilly

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
    Hilly, Dec 1, 2010
  7. Hilly

tobex

You want to reconsider having a dimmer in the bathroom .....
    - hangover
    - 3am call of nature
    - blending light levels with your mood
    - romantic spa interlude

Similarly, you can bounce the outside levels with sunset levels up to night level. Clipsal makes an outdoor light sensor for C-Bus so you can ramp your levels with outdoors. Bear in mind that you will need to make allowances for PIR operated light loads and "door switches" into C-Bus coupler.

Watch out for the dreaded "PIR blindspot" which does a wonderful job of shutting down the lights after you sit on the "throne" too long or some other corner of a room.

What you are aiming for is perhaps an interactive experience of lighting which blends with your living space. Having a number of sensors is the only way to ensure that your lighting system is getting environmental inputs and responding.

- light sensor
    - PIR
    - alarm emergency inputs
    - thermostat inputs
    - time schedules
    - simple logic programming

If you need to visualise this then imagine the difference between a 2 Star hotel and a 5 Star hotel. The main difference is the number of things that are "done for you" without you having to do them.

I would research this further by spending your first $600 on a hotel room with C-Bus installed.You can get a list from the clipsal website or ask a member of the CIS team to recommend a location. When building a c-bus system bear in mind it is not an expensive light switch ... it is an intelligent house controller.

Looking at the PDF you submitted I would grade that design with being 60% accurate on the "5-star" criteria. In other words I would relocate 40% of the lamps. Even coverage only applies to functional areas. When it comes to rest areas you actually want lighting to be uneven so that you don't feel you are being interrogated in bed. Bedrooms, bathtubs and lazy sofas actually need special attention when it comes to lighting, as a rule of thumb ... overhead lights need to offer comfort.

It took me about 8 years to find a dozen decent lighting books. It is a very poorly understood concept in architecture when compared to books on surface finishes and gardens which seem to flood the shelves.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
    tobex, Dec 1, 2010
  8. Hilly

znelbok

Slightly OT

Care to share the name of those books

Mick

znelbok, Dec 2, 2010
  9. Hilly

tobex

Bean, A. R. (2004). Lighting : interior and exterior. Amsterdam ; Boston, Elsevier/Architectural Press.

Bidner, J. and E. Bean (2005). Lighting cookbook for fashion and beauty : foolproof recipes for taking perfect portraits. New York Garsington, Amphoto ; Windsor distributor.

Conran, S. B., M. (1999). Contemporary lighting.

Entwistle, J. (1999). Hotels. Hove, RotoVision.

Feduchi, M. (2005). Lighting : good ideas. New York, NY, Harper Design, An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

Kaltenbach, F. (2004). Translucent materials : glass, plastics, metals. Birkh?user, Edition Detail.

Lee, V. and A. Wood (2007). The kitchen : creating contemporary homes. London, Jacqui Small.

Meyers, V. (2006). Designing with light. New York, Abbeville Press.

Niesewand, N. (1999). Lighting. New York, Whitney Library of Design.

Pridham, E. (2003). Transparent. London New York, Mitchell Beazley ;Phaidon.

Riley, T. and Museum of Modern Art (New York N.Y.) (1995). Light construction. New York, Museum of Modern Art : Distributed by Harry N. Abrams.

Simons, R. H. and A. R. Bean (2001). Lighting engineering : applied calculations. Oxford, Architectural Press.

Sorrell, K. (2005). Space and light : how to maximize the potential of your home. London, Mitchell Beazley.

Storey, S. (2002). Lighting by design. New York, Watson-Guptill.

Storey, S. (2009). The Lighting book. Upper Saddle River, NJ, Creative Homeowner.

Thaureau, V. (2005). Ultimate lighting design. New York ; West Byfleet, teNeues.

Tregenza, P. and D. Loe (1998). The design of lighting. London ; New York, E & FN Spon.

Whitehead, R. (2000). The art of lighting : an international profile of home lighting. Gloucester, Mass., Rockport.

Whitehead, R. (2001). The art of outdoor lighting : landscapes with the beauty of lighting. Gloucester, Mass., Rockport.

Whitehead, R. (2002). Lighting design sourcebook : 600 solutions for residential and commercial spaces. Gloucester, Mass., Rockport.

Wilhide, E. and R. Main (2001). Lighting : a design source book. London ; New York, Ryland Peters & Small.

Wilhide, E. and R. Main (2004). Lighting : creative planning for successful lighting solutions. London ; New York, Ryland Peters & Small.

There is one more book I cant find which deals in Light Theory and physics.

tobex, Dec 2, 2010
Ask a Question