Linking CBUS Wireless to a (small) Wired system?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by jago, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jago

jago

I live in a building with brick walls... I've replaced all my conventional light switches with wireless CBUS saturn switches. I programmed them all without computer link or anything... all works well with plug-in wireless cbus modules too.

My alarm control panel is behind my fridge, and I want to put a 5104BCL Coupler Input Unit in my alarm panel so my alarm relay unit can activate a few CBUS scenes on my wireless wall switches & plug in modules (on arrival, departure, alarm, etc). I've also bought a monochrome touch screen... BS5000CT which I want to have on the wall next to my alarm panel to control the WHOLE wireless system, room by room.

My question is... what WIRED components do I need to make the 5104BCL and touch screen operate the wireless system? I don't and won't have ANY wired CBUS dimmers or anything. How will they get power, etc? The CBUS power unit is almost $500! Do I need that?

I assume I obviously need the Wireless gateway... but then how does that get power? Is what I'm proposing possible? What connects to what?

Hope someone can push me in the right direction.

P.S. I can borrow a CBUS PC Module thing from a friend.

jago, Apr 27, 2007
  2. jago

Newman

To get your Touchscreen and Bus Coupler up and running you'll need a C-Bus Power Supply, 5500PS, or another C-Bus unit with an integrated power supply. This will also provide the power to the C-Bus Wireless Gateway. What you are proposing is entirely possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
    Newman, Apr 27, 2007
  3. jago

tobex

Depending how big the fridge is (I have seen some large ones) the power spikes caused by the electric motor switching off/on can produce a transient voltage and induce a current in the logic of any electronics near it. This is true in particular for cables entering the alarm panel. That may cause false alarms (if it is a large fridge).

Such a thing happened to a DynaLite system where the Dynalite network could interpret false signals in the wires caused by noise from the fridge (very large commercial unit). The result would be random operation of a number of roller shutters and lights. The shutters would be locked so then the units would be damaged. Now as a result of that experience and possibly others, the specification calls for a shielded cable.

You will notice that in all high-end panels the data links to keypads and other panels calls for shielded cable. This may not apply to you but it may be useful to someone else.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
    tobex, Apr 27, 2007
  4. jago

jago

Thanks for the comment re: the fridge. I'll keep it in mind...

What other CBUS modules have an inbuilt power supply? Does a 5500CN Network interface - it has an external plugpack to power it - can I use this as power? You said 5500PC... I thought that was the PC interface and that REQUIRED power from CBUS and didn't provide it? What other units can I use for power? $500 just seems like a waste to power a touchscreen and a wireless gateway.

jago, Apr 28, 2007
  5. jago

Newman

The 5500CN CNI plugpack only powers that unit itself, it provides no power to C-Bus.
    Sorry, my typo, I should have said 5500PS for the stand alone power supply. The 5500PC PC Interface takes all it's power from C-Bus.

Apart from the 5500PS 350 mA Stand Alone power supply, the following units have integrated 200 mA C-Bus power supplies:
    • L5504RVF - 4-channel relay
    • L5504RVFC - 4-channel changeover relay
    • L5504RVF20 - 4-channel 20A relay
    • L5508RVF - 8-channel relay
    • L5512RVF - 12-channel relay
    • L5504RD - 4-channel relay driver
    • L5104D5 - 4-channel 5A Professional dimmer (60 mA)
    • L5102D10 - 2-channel 10A Professional dimmer (60 mA)
    • L5101D20 - 1-channel 20A Professional dimmer (60 mA)
    • L5504D2A - 4-channel 2A LE dimmer
    • L5504D2U - 4-channel 2.5A Universal dimmer
    • L5508D1A - 8-channel 1A dimmer
    • L5508DSI - 8-channel DSI dimmer

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007
    Newman, Apr 28, 2007
Ask a Question