Line-up

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by Thomas, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Thomas

Thomas

I hope that this has not been answered already, but I am confused about what is the product line-up following the ditching of the 6,4 inch touch screen.
    The automation controller was, as I understood it, a replacement for the 6,4 inch color touch screen.

Now we have two separate so called automation controllers, none of which are a touch screen type product.
    Before anyone assumes that I am a bit out of touch with the times, let me say that I understand that we may want to move away from that and go with the various mobile devices, and I would support it.

However, why is there a NAC and a SHAC? What is the difference?

Moreover, in the User Manual, there is mention of "The Wiser for C-Bus Automation Controller" as well.

In the download section, there is firmware for the Wiser for C-Bus Automation Controller, then referred to as SHAC. But the SHAC doesn't look anything like Wiser.

As I recall, the firmware, or rather image, for Wiser is a lot larger than that firmware.

Are we expecting to replace the Wiser (2) as well? Did I miss that announcement?

I really would like to understand where we are heading, so I can make appropriate offers going forward.

Thank you in advance for a clarification on this.

Thomas, Oct 1, 2017
  2. Thomas

DarylMc

Thomas
    Just briefly
    I haven't used one but I did go to the product release event.
    The NAC and SHAC are roughly the same but one has more capabilities for larger commercial sites.

Wiser 2 uses PICED for programming.
    SHAC uses web based configuration ie no software just your browser.

Wiser 2 uses pascal language for the logic engine.
    SHAC uses LUA programming language for advanced programming also done via web server in your browser.

In my opinion SHAC is likely to be a good replacement for Colour Touch Screen because you can create web based user interfaces and be free to use a wide range of touchscreen devices to access it.
    Not just rather expensive and I believe unavailable (though quite reliable) Clipsal Touch Screens.
    Unlike Colour Touch screens all the smarts is in the NAC so no transferring projects required.
    Some devices have apps which I believe will just give you a cleaner interface than a browser.

If it proves to be reliable I think it will be a great gadget.
    The price seems pretty reasonable too.

I suppose in due time there will be plenty of discussion here but right now it is not the way to learn about the device.
    You should talk to some Schneider /Clipsal reps about EcoXpert program to find out more.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
    DarylMc, Oct 2, 2017
  3. Thomas

lcrowhurst

wiser for C-Bus Automation Controller

The SHAC is the Wiser for C-Bus Controller.

Like DarylMc I think it is good replacement for the Colour Screen.

If you are upgrading or replacing a screen, NOTE : you cannot upload a piced project to it, it has to be completely re-done.

Attached Files:

lcrowhurst, Oct 2, 2017
  4. Thomas

Thomas

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Of course I have been asking for months now about what is happening with our products, however, our local reps do not have any info, Eco Partner or not.

There will be a training course end of the month, and I hope it will give the answers which are needed. But I think it would be really nice to know where we are going.

The question about Wiser remains open, but it sounds like it will fall by the wayside.

The thing I dislike a lot about the new controllers is the online programming. HDL is doing it, and it is not good.
    In my opinion, being forced to be on site, or having to rely on a decent internet connection both sides is not the way to go.
    I always enjoyed being able to prepare a complete project off site, and offline, and then going to upload the lot. Even then there are enough snags to sort out. Now one has to do the whole lot on site especially with new projects where initially there may not be an internet connection.
    That is a major draw back in my mind.

Of course it will be nice to be able to go a step closer to the touch screen freedom of design. That is what was missing on Wiser all along.

To end, I still can't understand why product plans and development have to be such a secret, and then tossed out from one day to the next, leaving no time to plan and prepare. :confused:

Thomas, Oct 2, 2017
  5. Thomas

znelbok

Woa - Virtual bridging over Ethernet - something we have been asking for for a very long time - excellent to see. I will admit I would rather see it in a standard CNI than having to go to a Wiser which is significantly more expensive, but at least it is an option now (Soon).

I do think there is a missed opportunity in MQTT though - that seems to be really taking on as the IoT protocol and having that in the Wiser would be advantageous.

znelbok, Oct 2, 2017
  6. Thomas

DarylMc

Hello Thomas
    I suppose any difficulties or shortcomings will show up in actual use.
    The devices do have a backup facility.
    So if you had one in your workshop or the customers device before the install, it should not be too hard to work around commissioning.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
    DarylMc, Oct 3, 2017
  7. Thomas

Thomas

Thank you Daryl,

I am starting to get some info to move forward with.

Let's hope that the backup facility is what we hope for.

Thomas, Oct 4, 2017
  8. Thomas

NickD Moderator

Whilst it's not quite the same workflow in that there isn't just free software like PICED that you can do everything in offline... you don't need to be on-site to program the new Automation controllers..

The USB device port on the front panel has several functions...

1) It powers the processor in the unit from USB
    2) It presents as an ethernet adapter, so you can connect to the controller (at a fixed IP of 192.168.254.10) and do much of the configuration on the device at your desk.

Nick

NickD, Oct 5, 2017
  9. Thomas

Popovich

CTC3 touch screens

hello, say Clipsal ceased to produce CTC3 touch screens?

Popovich, Oct 23, 2017
  10. Thomas

jboer

Hello Popovich,

Yes unfortunately Schneider have stopped selling all their Touchscreen products. The replacement is the C-Bus Automation Controller as above in this thread. It is not a screen however and you will need to get a tablet or panel PC to connect to it using HTML.

jboer, Oct 23, 2017
  11. Thomas

Popovich

It turns out that the system falls apart, thermostats do not understand whether it will be produced or not, the touch screens have been removed, in fact, it turns out that the Automation Controller is no better than Iridium which also works with Clipsal, but has a better graphical interface
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and that absolutely no touch screens in remnants? all sold out already?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017
    Popovich, Oct 23, 2017
  12. Thomas

ampcom

There was a comment about having to do all the programming online and onsite.
    Could it be that if you had the SHAC or NAC with you (not onsite) and connect it to your PC (like on a test bench scenario) to preprogram it.
    Alternately if the one onsite needs to remain onsite, take a back up of the file, restore it on a spare SHAC you have in the office or in stock, do the programming changes as required, backup the project, go to site then restore to the SHAC that is onsite.

Basically you will need a spare SHAC or NAC in-stock to do this.

Cheers,
    Philip

ampcom, Apr 1, 2018
  13. Thomas

lcrowhurst

Yep that’s what I do, if the site doesn’t allow remote access.

lcrowhurst, Apr 1, 2018
Ask a Question