Lights turn on randomly

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by aminchamoun, Feb 19, 2022.

1. aminchamoun

aminchamoun

Hi. I have this problem where my lights turn on randomly by themselves. There is no log entry of the lights turning on in toolkit. Additionally the wall light switches Saturn leds turn on and off by themselves as well. Every morning I wake up and all the lights in the house are on. Happens two or three times a day. I don’t know where to start diagnosing this problem. Has anyone seen this before??

aminchamoun, Feb 19, 2022
  2. aminchamoun

Ashley

Cbus cable has 4 pairs. Two pairs are in parallel for the bus itself, while the other two pairs are the remote on and remote off control lines. These aren't required in domestic installs but are connected anyway through the RJ45 connectors. Some installer connect them through at the switches ( the switches have only connections for the bus, so the remote on and off have to be externally connected which is at the whim of the installer). It doesn't take much current between these pair to trigger a remote on (or off, but you tend not the notice that as much). So if you have any dirt or water ingress in any connections this can trigger the all on you are seeing.
    Unfortunately there is no way of disabling this feature, so you just have to find the faulty cable.
    I never connect the remote on and off pairs at the switches which helps isolate these sort of problems. You could start by removing a switch and see if these pairs (the green and brown) are connected through, and if so disconnect them and see if less lights come on. At least that will confirm the issue then you can start looking in earnest.

Ashley, Feb 19, 2022
  3. aminchamoun

aminchamoun

Thank you - I will show this to my Electrician and see if we can do some tests.

aminchamoun, Feb 20, 2022
  4. aminchamoun

shanede

I has this once totally random, lights coming on etc. Through trial and error I found a 12 channel relay that was showing no errors needed to be replaced, basically remove one component at a time from the cbus network to find this.Since replacing its been fine.

shanede, Mar 3, 2022
Ask a Question