Lightning Protection on C-Bus Cable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stace, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Stace

Stace

Is there a recommended lightning arrestor product for use with the C-Bus cable to offer a degree of protection from near field and indirect lightning strikes? I need to run C-Bus between two adjacent buildings, (underground) and wish to protect the incoming and outgoing signal at both ends. (Fibre optic cable and RF modem are too costly for this application).

Stace, Oct 9, 2007
  2. Stace

Ross

Hi Stace,
    Try gel filled cable and crossing your fingers. Works :D

Ross, Oct 9, 2007
  3. Stace

Mr Mark

Stace,

Try a network bridge at one end (saves half the site in a worst case instance).
    Also, we have used NOVARIS protection in the past.

Mark

Mr Mark, Oct 9, 2007
  4. Stace

znelbok

If a bridge will protect one network, then two will protect both. Expensive option though.

I am a similar situation with a gel filled cat6 running between two buildings (actually there are four buildings in total). I don't want to spend 1K for each underground cable for two bridges. An approved solution would be great to see

Mick

znelbok, Oct 10, 2007
  5. Stace

Don

I would seriously consider the following to maximise lightning protection:

1) run the C-Bus cable in earthed metal conduit. This will minimise the chance that disturbance current will actually flow in the C-Bus conductors
    2) unless you absolutely must use the remote override conductors, I suggest only running the two C-Bus signals + and - in one or more balanced twisted pairs over the exposed distance
    3) you can safely add a gas arrestor between each of the two C-Bus conductors and earth without affecting the C-Bus signals. These will minimise the potential between the C-Bus conductors and Earth, and probably will save a few power supplies in event of a strike.
    4) There are already zener diodes (transient arrestors) across the lines at every C-Bus node, so additional suppressors probably won't add much value.

Don, Oct 10, 2007
Ask a Question