Lighting fault

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by welshman, May 13, 2011.

1. welshman

welshman

I have recently installed a new cbus system to a restaurant but am having issues where three different banks of lights on three separate universal dimmer modules have turned themselves off and then turned back on again a second or two later. I have not overloaded the current rating of the individual channels and the problem has arisen on two banks of down lights on electronic transformers and one bank of fittings that have an integral iron core transformer. One bank of lights had nine down lights (450W), another bank has eight down lights (400W) and the third has just four fittings (200W). Coincidently or possibly too coincidently all three banks of lights are the only three that were actually wired with two separate switch wires to each bank but doubled up in to one channel in the dimmer to save money (not my idea!), i.e three channels used instead of six. This is apparently a known occasional problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem?
    Can you suggest a cause and a possible cure?
    Why if an iron core transformer is installed in a fitting is the cbus module showing an amber light? Shouldn't it be green?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

welshman, May 13, 2011
  2. welshman

DarylMc

Hello Welshman
    I havent seen that problem
    Is it 3 separate din rail dimmers or 3 channels on 1 dimmer?
    How often do they turn off and on?
    Do all 3 channels go off and on at the same time?
    Have you tried to take some fittings off the channel to see if a faulty light fitting might be causing an overload?

DarylMc, May 14, 2011
  3. welshman

NickD Moderator

This sounds like the dimmer's overcurent protection kicking in... there is some discussion of a similar problem here.

I suggest you contact tech support for some suggestions on how to fix this.

Nick

NickD, May 15, 2011
  4. welshman

welshman

Thanks for the response fellas.

Nick, thanks for the link it sounds like what I'm experiencing. The tech support guy figured on something like the over current device and/or the transformers but I'm still waiting on a possible solution. I'd be inclined to go with the transformer issue as they're only a generic chinese made thing but then that doesn't quite explain the four very expensive fittings with the iron core transformers going out as well. Cheers.

welshman, May 15, 2011
Ask a Question