LED strip lighting dimming control

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by ozmade, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ozmade

ozmade

Gents,

I will be installing some LED strip lighting 24 volt 50 watt I have leading edge dimmer L5508D1A and I need help with finding a driver suitable with dimming capabilities, or any other way of dimming the LED strips:confused:

Ozmade

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    ozmade, Mar 25, 2014
  2. ozmade

innovative

What's the manufacturer? I've found the good brands if u chat to the rep they have a solution readily available.

innovative, Mar 28, 2014
  3. ozmade

NickD Moderator

You won't be able to drive it directly from the L5508D1A. There are such things as phase control to 0-10V adapters, but you still then need a 0-10V to LED driver.

The other options I can think of to control it from C-Bus are

DALI (using a 5502DAL plus a DALI LED driver)
    0-10V (using an L5504AMP plus a 0-10V LED driver)
    DMX (using a 5512DMX plus a DMX LED driver)
    IR (using an 5034NIRT plus a driver with an IR remote - often cheap chinese LED strip comes with one of these)

Each of these options has its own pros and cons.

If all you want to do is one channel, and it's a single colour, 0-10V is probably the simplest.

If you want RGB, DMX is probably the simplest.

There seem to be plenty of cheap (no idea how good, but they're not exactly complex) 0-10V or DMX LED drivers on eBay.

Nick

NickD, Mar 29, 2014
  4. ozmade

jboer

Just throwing it out there but I can recommend a few different options. We primarily use DMX for our control and interface that back to C-Bus a few different ways but in terms of drivers:

SLAMMO: As the website says :) But have found them to be solid and reliable with good dimming.

Most EBay or Ali LED drivers are pretty much the same inside the box. (Example) They work and for the price are hard to go past. But the PWM frequencies are low and so you can get a flicker when dimming. This is very noticeable at low (10-20%) intensities.

The company I work for also manufacture drivers and are good quality with very nice curves. But are expensive and probably over the top for a house. They are designed for entertainment venues generally or where lots of dimming is required.

Just a little comment on dimming LED with traditional dimmers. Personally people should give up on trying to do so. Yes it can be made to work but everything generally has to be matched so well it often (as we can see from so many forum posts) doesn't work. As LED tech gets developed to produce better output with better CRI the dimming of your incoming voltage just isn't going to work anymore without more and more issues. I highly recommend if people are putting in LED fixtures do yourself a favour and get a driver with a control input. You generally are spending good money on the LED fixture it self, don't then skimp on the control side and ruin the whole thing.

jboer, Mar 29, 2014
Ask a Question