LED Pendent Light Fittings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gambleton15, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Gambleton15

Gambleton15

Hi everyone,

I am a qualified electrician and have recently installed a 8watt Edison LED dimmable E27 globe (the ones that you can see the filament inside) as a pendent in one of the bedrooms in my house for a bedside table light.

The LED light is on a universal 8ch dimmer with a 31LCDA device connected across the load to stop leakage and have the light turn off. The problem is when on 10% or higher a loud buzzing noise starts... has anyone overcome this problem? i have tried using iron core transformers but problem still occurs.

My last resort is to ditch the LED and get a 40 watt filament style globe instead.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Gambleton15, Aug 23, 2016
  2. Gambleton15

NickD Moderator

Is the buzzing from the lamp or the dimmer (or both)? Perhaps you can share a link to the lamp?

I assume the lamp is low voltage since you say you tried a transformer.

Also there is no such thing as a C-Bus 8ch universal dimmer... if the dimmer has 8 channels then it's not universal, it's leading edge only and this may well explain the buzzing if you are driving an electronic load like an LED lamp.

TBH the simplest option is probably to use a real incandescent filament lamp... if you decrease the maximum setting slightly (say 90%) this and the dimmer soft start should extend the lamp life as well.

Nick

NickD, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Gambleton15

Gambleton15

Hi Nick thanks for the quick response!
    Yes you are correct for some odd reason i thought universal.

The Globe is 240V i only connected the iron core to see if more load would be sufficient. (but it still buzz's)

"it's leading edge only and this may well explain the buzzing if you are driving an electronic load like an LED lamp." - is there anything on the market that can resolve this?

I agree i am starting to think that just buying a real incandescent lamp will solve the problem... and i will just have to take the loss of the LED Globe.

http://edisonlightglobes.com/Shop/s...immable-lantern-filament-led-e27-clear-125mm/

Thanks, Gambleton

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  4. Gambleton15

DarylMc

Thanks for providing the lamp link.
    If the bedside lamps must be on a dimmer I would look at something like this.
    http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/8727900894721/halogen-classic-halogen-bulb

If you really want LED filament lamps I think the best option would be to swap to a relay output unit if possible.

I like the filament style LED's and they are the only ones I have seen which provide the 360 degree output that I would like to see in a bedside lamp.

As Nick asked, where is the humming noise coming from?
    Leading edge dimmer units do make a humming noise when dimmed.
    Is it making a noise from the dimmer at full brightness?

DarylMc, Aug 23, 2016
  5. Gambleton15

Gambleton15

Hi Daryl,

The noise is coming from the lamp only.. The 8ch dimmer is nice and quiet

I can get away with the lamp at 10% and not be able to hear anything but once I start to turn the lamp up (11% - 100%) the humming gets louder.

Thanks, Gambleton.

6. Gambleton15

NickD Moderator

The only real solution for that lamp is a dimmer that will drive the lamp in trailing edge mode. The universal dimmer will do this but you might run into minimum load problems (which the 31LCDA would solve).

I suspect you're better off with a real incandescent (which as an upside will probably have nicer light).

Nick

PS : From that site.. "The power saving from an LED light will usually pay for itself in less than 2 years."

In this case.. that's a complete crock... if the equivalent incandescent were 50W you would save about $3 of power in 2 years.

NickD, Aug 24, 2016
  7. Gambleton15

Gambleton15

Ok Thanks Nick,

ill look into how much a universal dimmer costs... there is a probability that we will be getting more of these lights for the other bedrooms.

Thanks for all your help, Gambleton

Gambleton15, Aug 24, 2016
  8. Gambleton15

DarylMc

I think it is worth checking with the lamp supplier before buying a CBus universal dimmer or two.
    Don't forget the 4 channel universal dimmer will take twice the switchboard space of the 8 channel dimmer.

I wouldn't be confident of flawless dimming even with Universal dimmer and 31LCDA without trying it out.
    Ask the supplier if they can guarantee it.

The supplier recommends trailing edge dimmers and does have some dimming information here.

https://edisonlightglobes.zendesk.c...e-system-compatible-with-Filament-LED-Globes-

DarylMc, Aug 25, 2016
  9. Gambleton15

Gambleton15

Yes Daryl i agree, i also had a look at that dimming information before i purchased.

Ive bought a real incandescent now and it works flawlessly even able to dim down to extremely low levels.
    The only downfall is I'm using 32 more watts then then the 8 watt LED... but o well...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Matt.

Gambleton15, Aug 26, 2016
Ask a Question