LED lssue on older system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by level4, Nov 30, 2021.

1. level4

level4

Hi all
    Our CBUS is around 16 years old now and I was swapping out a halogen flood light with an LED which was allegedly 100W. Wired all in and powered up only to find, much to my chagrin, that when the light was switched off it was still on, only at a lower light level. No flickering or the like. Thinking that the LED may not have enough load on it to be fully recognised by the system. How would it go putting an inline resistor on the active? Is there something out there already that will do the job. TIA

level4, Nov 30, 2021
  2. level4

Graham Lamb

That's correct load not sufficient to shut tryack down in the dimmer module there is a load correction device by clipsal or swap load to a relay channel if there is a spare then reprogram you could put a resistor across load but that will defeat the purpose of LED low power consumption

Graham Lamb, Nov 30, 2021
  3. level4

Wonkey

I would advice against using any resistor as it would have to dissipate heat. Hence waste of energy and potential fire risk.
    As Graham mention put it on a relay. I would have expected it to have been on a relay originally. 100w load should also be enough to fully load a dimmer. Unless the flood light is advertised as equivalent to a 100w halogen unit and hence is considerably lower power itself.

Wonkey, Nov 30, 2021
  4. level4

level4

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Many companies now put on 100w but fail to disclose that it is equivilant to 100w. I think that it is already on a relay not a dimmer. What is the load correction device and how much is it

level4, Dec 1, 2021
  5. level4

Wonkey

If it's on a relay then the load correction device is not needed.
    May I suggest that you take the lamp down and connect a lead to it and a plug, power it up then disconnect. Then observe it to see if it glows which it may do if there are reasonable sized capacitors in the unit.
    Can you physically see which channel is turned ON, on the output unit via the LEDs on the front of the output unit. The unit will be identified as a dimmer or relay.

Wonkey, Dec 1, 2021
  6. level4

ashleigh Moderator

Its LED, and the leakage current through the dimmer is whats making it glow. Common with LED.

The rating in the end won't enter into it very much.

You need to put it on a relay channel or use a load correction device.

ashleigh, Dec 1, 2021
  7. level4

Pellmell

does it break fast?

Pellmell, Dec 20, 2021
Ask a Question