Led lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparky011, Mar 28, 2012.

1. sparky011

sparky011

Hi guys

I'm new to this site but gave been in the electrical industry for over 10 years

Can anyone please advise me in the best way to add led lights to bothe the dimmers and the relays, and what is the best type to buy, gu 10 etc etc

Also can the relays switch on and off led lights without any problems

sparky011, Mar 28, 2012
  2. sparky011

tobex

I can't say what is the best in Scotland but I can say that there are considerations.

- Ceiling height
    - Floor colour
    - Angle of spread
    - Light Kelvin temp.

As a rule, GU10 only serves up to 10W due to the limitations in power supply size. While some GU10 are available in cool white, most of them are in warm white from the retail sector.

A true 50W replacement is between 10W and 15W there is a huge difference between power consumption and power rating. Once you exceed 10W the housing increases quite a lot in size or you will have an MR16 style transformer setup.

Configuration 1 - Cosy lounge room
    ----------------------------------
    - Normal 9ft ceiling or lower
    - cosy room size with bright wall colour
    - light panel flooring or tile

In such a space you can look at a 10W GU10 in the warm white. 30 degree beams are ok sometimes.

Configuration 2- Kitchen in a large room
    ------------------------
    - 12 foot ceilings
    - open plan
    - dark floors
    - dark benchtops

Probably need 15W lamps with cool white (4000K) and 60 degree beam. This gives a colour balance that helps with cooking and the beam angle gives excellent coverage with benchtop surfaces. The additional power compensates for the additional room height.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Similarly when displaying artwork you want to match the lamps for the base colour of the art. Many paintings done before 1900 in the classical style are intended to be viewed in 3000K or near.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

While most of the products are starting to come out as dimmable, it is really a good idea to strike a balance between usage and light levels. Dimming is only ever an option for uses such as a meeting room or theatre room.

I personally prefer soft ramp on and off. So dimmable is good for that gentle lighting that doesn't startle the eyes.'

You may like to consider the latest offerings from
    - Osram GU10 and MR16 style
    - Lumitex Barricade
    - EVO50 (www.ledlighting.com.au)
    - Clipsal and their sister brands

tobex, Mar 29, 2012
Ask a Question