LED lamps and 4 channel / 8 channel dimmers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, May 3, 2009.

1. industeq

industeq

With the new LED lamps out in the market I was wanting to try some of the new CREE LR6 dimmable down-lights.
    http://www.creelighting.com/products.htm
    There are several screw in Edison style LED replacement bulbs on the web but none at any of the large home improvement stores yet.
    My thinking is that in a few years LED lighting will start to be the main-stream and surpass florescent bulbs for efficiency.

However I am worried about having enough load on the Clipsal dimmer module to fully trigger to turn off the SCR?s internally and have a bleed output voltage, then the LED will have a slight glow.

Is a 12 Watt load enough to work with a 4 channel or 8 channel dimmer and / or is there a minimum load needed?

I plan on purchasing a few CREE LED lights to try but at around $100 USD each it is a expensive experiment.

One recent thread I looked into but no true answer yet.
    http://cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5109&highlight=Channel+Dimmer

Alan Dobbs
    Houston, TX

industeq, May 3, 2009
  2. industeq

OldSkool

May be of help to you.

I just fitted off some more cbus in my house tonight and have fluro ES 14 Watt lamps in some fittings. Running thru dimmer as on/off they are flickering while off so no good for dimmer module.

OldSkool, May 4, 2009
  3. industeq

industeq

CREE LED bulbs came in today :)

I wired up 1 CREE LR6 lamp to my 4 channel dimmer.
    When turned on it instantly lightened up within milliseconds . Same with turning off.
    However when dimming it would not work proper.
    For dim up it would just illuminate fully.
    When dimming down it would go from 100% and look like it works as it would dim but when release the keypad switch the lamp would turn off completely.
    I decided to put 2 lamps to double the load from a single 12 Watt to 24 Watts.
    What a difference it made. I was able to dim / ramp up nicely but the ramp down was not there.
    I will order 2 more and see how having 3 or more will work on the dimmer.

I plan on putting my meter in-line to see what the current draw actually is and if it is zero volts when off.

Overall I think the LED lamps are excellent and gives off no heat by the touch.
    The lamp is very bright and a wide spread.

I will do some more testing and let the form know my results.

Alan Dobbs

industeq, May 7, 2009
  4. industeq

NickD Moderator

Sorry for the delay in replying... I was confirming a few things..

We have tried a Cree LR6-230V model on the L5508D1A, which is similar to the 4 channel dimmer you would have.

There were issues with starting up at low levels.. this can be worked around by setting a minimum level of about 30% on the dimmer channel (in the Max/Min tab in toolkit).

The other (bigger) issue was that there was a noticeable buzz in the fitting in the off state... this may be less on your dimmer as the US versions have lower off state leakage due to the less stringent FCC EMC requirements.

Nick

NickD, May 7, 2009
  5. industeq

Manas

I have used one relay after the dimmer channel. i.e Dimmer o/p will go to relay A terminal and Load will be connected to B.

Program relay with min level as 10%.

Whenever you dim down the CFL/LED, it will be dimmed upto 10% and supply will be cut off below that. So no flickering occurs...

Regards,
    Manas

Manas, May 7, 2009
  6. industeq

industeq

Thanks Nick

I was wondering if you tried 1 or had multiple CREE lamps in parallel.
    As stated I started with one then two then once received a few more I will load up more and let the forum know the data.

Thanks to all whom mentioned about the min set to 30%, I will try and see.

My 120V units had no audible buzzing but then again I just had on a bench to see and not mounted in a recess can..

Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc.

industeq, May 8, 2009
Ask a Question