LED Floodlights on Dimmer O/P

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by dellboy13, Feb 28, 2015.

1. dellboy13

dellboy13

Hi
    This is a bit of a silly question, I would like to add a LED Flood light (100w) to my system, I can use a relay output of my Comfort system but I also have a free output available on one of my 8ch CBUS dimmers. The LED flood light is not dimmerable but if I made the trigger switch to be a ON and OFF rather than a dimmerable ramp up and down would it work OK or could it cause damage to the LED light or even the dimmer?

dellboy13, Feb 28, 2015
  2. dellboy13

tsman

No. Don't wire anything that isn't dimmable to a dimmer channel. It may damage the LED or the dimmer channel. Also, you'll fail an electrical inspection if they find this. It is also going to be a hidden boobytrap for the future when you or somebody else has forgotten that it isn't a dimmable fitting.

You're posting in the wrong part of the forum BTW. This is for C-Bus Wireless which is not the same as the regular wired C-Bus products. It isn't available in the UK anymore anyway.

tsman, Feb 28, 2015
  3. dellboy13

dellboy13

Thanks for the reply, I was just think what would happen, I was going to use the comfort relay anyway as I need 3 outputs anyway and have 4 unused on the comfort. It was more a question is if the dimmer would go from 0 to 230v instantly.

Sorry for the wrong section, I am using my iPhone while my wife is shopping

dellboy13, Feb 28, 2015
  4. dellboy13

tsman

I've never measured the waveform that comes out of the dimmer so I'm unsure what exactly happens when you command it to go from 0% to 100% with 0 ramp time.

You may find that the LED wouldn't have liked the dimmer anyway. The channel has a small leakage current flowing through it even when the channel is off. This isn't a big deal when it is an incandescent bulb since you need much more power to get it to light up but LEDs may illuminate very dimly or flicker.

Ahh. That might be why this particular forum gets more random posts!

tsman, Feb 28, 2015
  5. dellboy13

dellboy13

Thanks mate

dellboy13, Feb 28, 2015
  6. dellboy13

KevinH

If anyone does know of some dimmable LED Floodlights, preferably in fairly high power / warm white ( not colour versions) then do let us know. I have 300W dimmable Halogen currently with 4sec fade up and longer fade down and they are very effective but I would like to replace them with something more energy efficient & longer build life.

K

KevinH, Mar 2, 2015
  7. dellboy13

Matthew

You can do this, it should work, BUT it is not advisable!
    You are more likely to damage the dimmer as the instant on/off is not in reality instant like a relay, there is still some delay (in milliseconds) so the device does not get 240V instantly.

Matthew, Mar 7, 2015
  8. dellboy13

ashleigh Moderator

Dimmers also do not (in general) apply 100% of the mains waveform to the load. Even if on at maximum there is a portion of the mains waveform not applied to the load and this can destroy some LED drivers. It depends on the driver.

In general terms, a non-dimmable load should not be used on a dimmer. EVER.

ashleigh, Mar 9, 2015
Ask a Question