LED Downlights

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Leigh, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Leigh

Leigh

I am replacing halogen downlights.

I have a L5508D1A leading edge dimmer. I recently purchased two LED downlights and tried them out on one of the channels. Although they dimmed they still glowed slightly at minimum dim and the dimming was not smooth.

I'm looking for good quality LED 4000k downlights suitable for mounting in a 90mm hole with the surface flush or nearly flush with the mounting rim. Will be using 2 downlights per channel.

Can anyone recommend downlights they have successfully used and are readily available?

Leigh, Sep 8, 2017
  2. Leigh

Ashley W

Whilst not 4000k, I use Peirlite Astara's (diffused style) without any issue what so ever. Quite a nice looking light visually and from a light output perspective. They are mean to replicate a standard incandescent in that they colour output changes with the dim level. Have them in all my living areas and my WIR.

Orginally the house was all M-ELEC D13M's, which have a switch that can select 4000k (and 3000k and 6000k). Again work ok, but with only two on a line I needed to put on a 31LCDA for them to behave. Without it I would get random flashing, which could only be fixed by killing the breaker that feeds the dimmer. With the 31LCDA no problems at all.

They don't work with just a single unit, well I should say don't work well. Originally my WIR had a single D13M and if left on for more than about 10 minutes it glowed slightly when 'turned off', and this was with a 31LCDA fitted. But when I changed it to an Astara no issues.

Ashley W, Sep 8, 2017
  3. Leigh

fleetz

I did a lot of research into this a while back mainly for my daughter and SIL new house. Not sure if the Pierlites are still available but they have been fantastic. Perform flawlessly and my best knowledge not one has failed of the 70 odd installed.

FWIW

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12018

One thing I found out as you will see in the research.....there is a vast difference in LED performance when dimming is involved.

fleetz, Sep 10, 2017
Ask a Question